Grimesthorpe Part 3

Tonio, Butlers fish &chip shop was opposite Wellington public -at that time I lived up Moss St near Oldfields dairy, chips&cake lovely -in my days could n't afford the fish !....Johnny Butler, their son eventually took a F & C shop many years later at Batemoor -Sheff 8

Tonio, Butlers fish &chip shop was opposite Wellington public -at that time I lived up Moss St near Oldfields dairy, chips&cake lovely -in my days could n't afford the fish !....Johnny Butler, their son eventually took a F & C shop many years later at Batemoor -Sheff 8

Janet lived at 24 Moss St until we got married in 1964 and her parents until they were moved to Longley in the 70's. The chip shop was on from the co op towards Crown Hill about 50 yds. Remember this is 70 years ago.janets grandad died in 1950. There's not many about now who can remember that far back

Or is there?

Janet lived at 24 Moss St until we got married in 1964 and her parents until they were moved to Longley in the 70's. The chip shop was on from the co op towards Crown Hill about 50 yds. Remember this is 70 years ago.janets grandad died in 1950. There's not many about now who can remember that far back

Or is there?

Iam sure the chippy was at top of Clevedon st where I was born opposite the wellington then we moved to 26 moss st bottom house next to simons grandma !

Iam sure the chippy was at top of Clevedon st where I was born opposite the wellington then we moved to 26 moss st bottom house next to simons grandma !

Simon was 50 three weeks ago.

We still see Peter Rhodes who lived with his parents at 26 before you moved in. His father was a remarkable man who had lost both his arms from the shoulder sockets in a rolling mill accident at ESC. He still went to work as an internal post man at ESC every day. He used to go for a drink in The Hodgeson where he had a swivel device for holding his pint so that he could drink without anyone's help and also a stand with a clip on it for his ciggie. The poor soul died after being knocked down by a car on the zebra crossing near Dennis's swap shop

What was the name of the sweet shop near to Dennis's shop?

Tonio...sweetshop near Dennis 's, was it Stanbras

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 14:59 ----------

Bantycock...you are spot on, chippy top corner Clevedon facing pub opposite corner

Or is there?

Hi I remember vaguely Janet's grandparents having the F&C shop it was opposite the phone box and the post office and the cobblers I think the Hill family lived on that side of the road also. Jean J

If you are talking about Johnny Butlers eldest son who I think was also named John, didn't he emigrate someplace, possibly South Africa?

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 10:13 ----------

Simon was 50 three weeks ago.

We still see Peter Rhodes who lived with his parents at 26 before you moved in. His father was a remarkable man who had lost both his arms from the shoulder sockets in a rolling mill accident at ESC. He still went to work as an internal post man at ESC every day. He used to go for a drink in The Hodgeson where he had a swivel device for holding his pint so that he could drink without anyone's help and also a stand with a clip on it for his ciggie. The poor soul died after being knocked down by a car on the zebra crossing near Dennis's swap shop

What was the name of the sweet shop near to Dennis's shop?

Hi tonio - I have mentioned this person before possibly on an old Grimesthorpe Thread. My frirst job was at ESC for a short time and I remember the internal postman with no arms, I used to help him with a cigarette when he stopped by sometimes. I recall he frequented the Hodgeson with his Dad who helped him with his drink, it was such a shame what happened to him. I didn't know about him being run down like that though.

Edited by fleetwood

Hi I remember vaguely Janet's grandparents having the F&C shop it was opposite the phone box and the post office and the cobblers I think the Hill family lived on that side of the road also. Jean J

Hi Jean. I think the Hills's live behind the post office across the road from grandad's chip shop. I am in touch with Pam and I will find out when I next see her will be about 2 weeks. Margaret Eades lived two doors up from the shop and the Naylors lived in the same yard next to the entry.

Janet

Anybody know what happened to Margaret Eades? Is she still in Sheffield?

Anybody know what happened to Margaret Eades? Is she still in Sheffield?

Hello John

I saw Margaret about 18 months ago in Meadowhall. She had just retired from the flower business. She had handed her stall in Sheffield market over to her daughter when the market moved to the Moor. She looked very well and still lives in Sheffield.

I am also in touch with Pam Hill and Joe Cooper. Joe had a stroke about 2 years ago but has recovered very well.

Janet

Hi Jean. I think the Hills's live behind the post office across the road from grandad's chip shop. I am in touch with Pam and I will find out when I next see her will be about 2 weeks. Margaret Eades lived two doors up from the shop and the Naylors lived in the same yard next to the entry.

Janet

Hi Janet, I remember Pam and June, June was in the same class as me at school as was Joe Cooper ( sorry to hear he has not been well). I also remember Margret Eades & the Naylor's (was it Paul who was electrocuted at Page Hall ) or have I got the wrong family. Jean J

Hello John

I saw Margaret about 18 months ago in Meadowhall. She had just retired from the flower business. She had handed her stall in Sheffield market over to her daughter when the market moved to the Moor. She looked very well and still lives in Sheffield.

I am also in touch with Pam Hill and Joe Cooper. Joe had a stroke about 2 years ago but has recovered very well.

Janet

Hi Janet, I met Pam & Joe at Bessie Cusworth's funeral March last year. Joe seemed to be recovering well. We seem to come to Sheffield too often for funerals! Jenny Atheron's last October & Dave Atherton's last week. Good to see Jeanette Jessop, Linda Sidebottom, Alan Wooten, Neil Ward, Irene Reynolds & Joan Cooper etc though.

Hope you are well, John