Hinde House Comprehensive

Hello, I went to Hinde House School in 1970-74, we were the first class to go straight from Shiregreen Junior School to Hinde House and not the Senior School at Shiregrenn, that had by then become Concord School.

We actually started as 2nd year pupils and left at the end of 5th form in 1974 when I was 16.

I remember Mr Edwards very well, and he was a nasty piece of work, aboslutely terrified me even though I did't personally have any run in with him. I remember having to stand when he walked into a classroom.

I also remember the strike being one of the pupils that sort of instigated it, it started because girls wanted to option of wearing trousers in the winter as many of us had to walk through Concord Park to get to school it was very cold wearing a skirt. It then developed into a full uniform debate.

I was in Chantry House and my form tutor was Mr Eccersley who also taught French. We had Mrs Ramsden for English, Mr Humberstone for Art, Mr Webb for Physics, Mr Wainwright (my favourite teacher) for Biology, Mrs Fitzmaurice for Commerce and Office Practice, in fact Mrs Fitzmaurice and another teacher whose name I forget arrange a party at her house for us when we left school. My last two years were in an all girls class due to the course being "vocational" and including typing, shorthand, commerce and office practice ect.

I also remember speech day/prize giving at the City Hall I was in the school orchestra and we played there. The music teacher I think was Mr Whiteley and also Mrs Merryweather. There are other teachers, occasions and pupils that I remember but I don't want to waffle on for too long.

Hello Curriechick

I was getting bored tonight having watched Strictly, Antiques Road Trip etc and was looking up things on my Kindle Fire when I looked up some of the Hinde House stuff and there's my name along with John Smith and Mike Hill and references to Richard Buttery who used to live opposite us on Wincobank Avenue. Yes, you've now guessed I'm Pete Sheldon who resides in Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire with my wife Dianne and am currently the Enginnering Director of a subsidary of the UK's biggest public transport companies. I remember Mr Eckersley( who said I'd never get anywhere in life when I left in May 74), Mr Manning who did woodwork, Mr Napier who did metalwork, Miss Gregorian who for some reason we nicknamed "whommo", Mr Turner who was Head of Lower School and of course the infamous Delflyn Edwards who once had me pinned to the wall in his office because of my Ben Sherman shirt, Staypress trousers and Harrington jacket (no note from my parents). I saw John Smith a few years ago at my 50th birthday party in Newcastle but haven'y seen Mike Hill since leaving HH in 1974. I don't know if you rember Shaun Cregan who we also used to hang around with but Shaun died in a tragic motorbike accident in 1979. Anyhow enough of this memory lane stuff but very strange to see my name on a web site and that someone remembers me from years ago. Regards

Pete

---------- Post added 26-11-2013 at 20:35 ----------

Hello Curriechick

I was getting bored tonight having watched Strictly, Antiques Road Trip etc and was looking up things on my Kindle Fire when I looked up some of the Hinde House stuff and there's my name along with John Smith and Mike Hill and references to Richard Buttery who used to live opposite us on Wincobank Avenue. Yes, you've now guessed I'm Pete Sheldon who resides in Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire with my wife Dianne and am currently the Enginnering Director of a subsidary of the UK's biggest public transport companies. I remember Mr Eckersley( who said I'd never get anywhere in life when I left in May 74), Mr Manning who did woodwork, Mr Napier who did metalwork, Miss Gregorian who for some reason we nicknamed "whommo", Mr Turner who was Head of Lower School and of course the infamous Delflyn Edwards who once had me pinned to the wall in his office because of my Ben Sherman shirt, Staypress trousers and Harrington jacket (no note from my parents). I saw John Smith a few years ago at my 50th birthday party in Newcastle but haven'y seen Mike Hill since leaving HH in 1974. I don't know if you rember Shaun Cregan who we also used to hang around with but Shaun died in a tragic motorbike accident in 1979. Anyhow enough of this memory lane stuff but very strange to see my name on a web site and that someone remembers me from years ago. Regards

Pete

Same memories as me we must have been in same class and form im Les Riley.....

Hi there I was at hinde house 1974 onwards and trying to get hold of old school mates is not as easy as they make with all the modern technology. anyway I was taken under mr whitely wings when I asked him to teach me how to play the piano, did not thing for one minute that he would care to hoots about somebody who was in the bottom classes and never realy gained anything. but he took me on and am still playing the piano today and also took on the church organ years ago but sadly cannot get on one anymore thats another story. mr web physics brill teacher i came 2nd and third in term marks for the physics and chemistry all though got thrown out of the chemistry club with mr kemp he had the real ginger bushy hair, made a large explosion left a very large black deposit of soot on the ceiling. good and bad days form tuter was of course Benny hill mr White and we all went to have tea at his house and ms pitts turned up as well the french teacher wow what a seconds hi. good and bad memories I lived at brightside 61 limpsfield road so biggest part of the kids from around there went to hh my sister glynis wood was older than me by nearly 2 years. all the best trevor wood now in grimesthorpe next door to the old brightside.

I went to Hinde House between 69 and 71 Mr Ridgeway threw a mallet at me and nearly knocked my head off during woodwork I can't see it happening these days but we knew who was in charge back then and it was not us.

Hello, I was in the last first years at Hinde House. My form teacher was Miss Pitts and we had Mr Keaton aka Buster for maths. I remember Cliff Richard coming and someone booing him off stage and all being kept behind till the culprit came forward. I can't remember who it was though. I also remember travelling around in the old school bus driven by Mr Ward.

I was at hindehouse 67-70 I remember Mr eccersley was my form teacher I also remember Mr glover who was also my form master he took us for swimming we used to go on the bus to Sutherland rd baths Mr Edwards was a right sadistic fatherless person I used to get bullied by someone in the year below when I was in second year

(I am female and it was another girl) one day after school I dfcided enough is enough and pasted her the next day I got sent to his office the girls mum had been to school to complain he wouldn't let me explain at all and I got the cane across both legs and also 12 detentions I lived at the other end of Sheffield and it took me over an hour to get home this was in the winter time he'd have never got away with that punishment these days my father put in a complaint with the school board but there wasn't anyone who would say a word against Edwards it always made me wonder it was as if he had some sort of hold over Sheffield education dept.

Hello, I was in the last first years at Hinde House. My form teacher was Miss Pitts and we had Mr Keaton aka Buster for maths. I remember Cliff Richard coming and someone booing him off stage and all being kept behind till the culprit came forward. I can't remember who it was though. I also remember travelling around in the old school bus driven by Mr Ward.

did some work on that old bus helped put the stable in for the horse as well laid the concrete base

Just stumbled across this post. I went to the dreaded Hinde House during the 70's. I was one of the poor terrified souls who were in the express maths stream and had Mr Edwards as our 'teacher' :( I remember being physically sick I was so frightened of him. I remember trying to speak to my parents and other teachers about him but no one seemed to have any power to do anything about him, makes me wonder how they could stand by and see him bully people mentally and physically scarring children.

My memory isn't brilliant but people I remember are Cheryl wildgoose, David Lonsdale, Melvyn Thornley, Karen Edley, Andrew Glaves, pat fields, Alison Windle, Sharon Fletcher

I remember the Cliff Richard concert, some of the 6th form had made a banner saying 'Cliff Richard walks on water' it was an excruciatingly bad experience hosted by the god squad specifically the buffoon Mr White RE teacher and total moron.

I do wonder how anyone ever survived that school

I was at hindehouse 67-70 I remember Mr eccersley was my form teacher I also remember Mr glover who was also my form master he took us for swimming we used to go on the bus to Sutherland rd baths Mr Edwards was a right sadistic fatherless person I used to get bullied by someone in the year below when I was in second year

(I am female and it was another girl) one day after school I dfcided enough is enough and pasted her the next day I got sent to his office the girls mum had been to school to complain he wouldn't let me explain at all and I got the cane across both legs and also 12 detentions I lived at the other end of Sheffield and it took me over an hour to get home this was in the winter time he'd have never got away with that punishment these days my father put in a complaint with the school board but there wasn't anyone who would say a word against Edwards it always made me wonder it was as if he had some sort of hold over Sheffield education dept.

Nobody that was taught by him will ever forget that swine.

This is worth a read:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18006

I went to HH between 69&71 we where the last to leave at the age of 15 Mr Needham ( Neddy) was one of the best teachers I had. I remember him rewarding you with sweets when you got maths questions right.

REF Post 49 – Wickerman

Jimi Hendrix experience at the city hall in November of ‘67

I (Zakes) was once told that Hendrix had once supped a pint of Tennants at the Sportsman (Whitbread) on Barnsley Road. Hendrix was playing the Burngreave club that night. I wonder if this was true. Is it? At which year?

I believe an old acquaintance of mine sang at the Burngreave club. Barry Jordan. Barry worked reading meters for the Y.E.B. He was an excellent snooker player too.

Anyway. To the business of Hinde house … info from 1963-64 ish.

Click here

Hendrix never played a working men's club;he almost certainly had a pint at the Sportsman when he was playing at the Mojo Club.