Israel Grayson - descendants ?

hi all , wondering if anybody out there can help ?

my dad (Peter Phillips) only recently found out that his birth mother died when he was 14months old, his dad (Harold) remarried soon after and didnt tell him about his mother.

all photos of her were destroyed and we cant find a picture anywhere.

before he shuttles off this mortal coil , i'd like to try and get a photo of her young or otherwise.

she was called Mary Jane Phillips(nee Grayson) , her father was Israel Grayson - an unusual name ! , her mother was Betsy Grayson (nee Anson).

they lived at darnall and attercliffe .

she was born 3/8/20 and died of tb on 27/11/44.

if anybody has traced their roots ( which seems popular these days ), and have a link back to Israel Grayson or may possibly have a photo of Mary Jane , please get in touch .

thank you for your time and consideration in reading this .

cheers . lee

Is it his tree on Ancestry then? I have Graysons in my family but back in 1840's not a line I have followed but will have a look.:)

If he puts Israel Grayson 1845 in the search engine on Ancestry there is someone else with a tree. This Israel is your Israel' father I believe.

Edited by Rivelin6

hi rivelin6, tried looking but couldnt find it ?, i've traced his ancestors back as far as the 1700s, its the ones after her birth i'm having trouble with , i've put a request on here to try and trace israels or betsys grave , so at least he'd have something tangible to remember , as his mother was cremated due to her dying of tb . they lived at 22 liverpool street upto at least 1940 , so they may be buried in attercliffe cemetary .or to try and trace her on a school register- possible carbrook or coleridge road ?. thanks for the reply and suggestions, lee

Owner: ronaldsevers57

Israel Grayson Severs:Sivers:Sockett

Birth: 1846 - Sheffield

Parents: William Grayson, Mary Unknown

hi rivelin6, tried looking but couldnt find it ?, i've traced his ancestors back as far as the 1700s, its the ones after her birth i'm having trouble with , i've put a request on here to try and trace israels or betsys grave , so at least he'd have something tangible to remember , as his mother was cremated due to her dying of tb . they lived at 22 liverpool street upto at least 1940 , so they may be buried in attercliffe cemetary .or to try and trace her on a school register- possible carbrook or coleridge road ?. thanks for the reply and suggestions, lee

My Dad lived at Attercliffe as a child and he had friends on Liverpool Street. I'm seeing my Dad and Aunt tomorrow so I will ask if they knew of the family.

thanks for that rivelin , any help gratefully received , cheers , lee

try Sheffield Indexers

Just saw my Aunty in the end yesterday She remembers your Grayson family. I will ask my Dad when I see him. In the meantime you may be interested in these books which you can pick up from Waterstones, Sheffield Scene or Amazon. My Family and Other Morticians: & Other Stories from Off the Common, Round the Lump 1&2 by Ann Sapcote. In the back there are a list of names of people from Attercliffe on certain roads between 1920-1960. I found my Grandparents in the latest(My family) They are a great read.

fantastic news rivelin , pity there were no street photos then , possibility of a photo of her would have been marvelous . i'll have a look out for the books . thank your aunty , and any info about dads mum or family will be gratefully received , cheers again , lee

fantastic news rivelin , pity there were no street photos then , possibility of a photo of her would have been marvelous . i'll have a look out for the books . thank your aunty , and any info about dads mum or family will be gratefully received , cheers again , lee

Don't give up hope you never know what you might find in the future. I did look on picture Sheffield to see if there was a picture but couldn't find one. I'm seeing my Dad on Monday and his school friend lived on Liverpool Street so will see if he remembers anything. Actually that's a good case in point, I started working for a lady a few months ago whose husband turned out to be the one mentioned above living on Liverpool Street. It turned out he was not only my Dad's best friend at school but they were born on the same day.:)

Edited by Rivelin6

thanks for that rivelin , forgot to ask , did your aunty mention if my dads mum had any siblings ?, and approx what year did she know them ?, just trying to get any info or descriptions of her, or her family i can , cheers , lee

She would have known them in 1940's

These are their children

Births Jun 1912

GRAYSON Frances Anson Sheffield 9c 1362

Births Mar 1914

GRAYSON Israel Anson Sheffield 9c 1431

Births Jun 1918

Grayson Betsy Anson Sheffield 9c 1093

Births Sep 1920

Grayson Mary J Anson Sheffield 9c 1304

Births Jun 1925

Grayson George Anson Sheffield 9c 1083