The Extras - Sheffield band

Trying to get hold of Robin Markin or indeed any ex-members of Sheffield's much-loved late 1970s band in order to write an article about them - anyone help?

Edited by Simpo

Was Robin the keyboard player? If it's the Robin I'm thinking of I know him through a friend.

yes, Robin was the keyboard player - his surname is Markin not Hankin (corrected)!

That's the fellow! I'll PM you...

My brother, Simon Anderson, was the guitarist, I think he's still in touch with Robin.

My reason for joining the forum was to respond to participants in this thread

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 18:43 ----------

But I have to post five entries in the forums before I can send anyone a private message

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 18:43 ----------

Yay! So here we go...

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 18:44 ----------

Oh, and I have to wait thirty seconds between posts too... How wonderful...

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 18:46 ----------

I can see the sands in the hourglass depicting the short time left to me on this earth trickling down as I wait to comply with these restrictions, but hey ho, five posts done now... Hooorah!!

I heard that John Lake of the Extras died in an accident a few years ago, is that true? I remember them well, used to go and see them at the Broadfield.

Sadly yes. My brother Simon, the guitarist also died earlier this year after a long battle with cancer. Robin came to the funeral, had a long chat about the good old days.

I wanted to send private messages to a couple of people related to or friends of band members but the system here is preventing me from doing so seemingly not recognizing the five posts I've already made so here goes...

I knew John back in the 70s and have some B&W photos taken at a concert presumably sponsored by Radio Hallam as there's a big "Radio Hallam" banner in the background. I had digital copies made a few years ago. If remaining members of the band or direct family members would like copies I'll be happy to provide them.

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 15:41 ----------

By the way, I have a recollection that The Extras played at The Limit, on West Street, though don't recall how often. Am wondering whether the pics I have were taken there perhaps, but am not sure.

I'd absolutely love to see these photos and if you could email them to me then I'll pass them on to Hilary (Simon's partner) and all his family. I can probably get them to Robin too. The Extras did play in The Limit but if the photos have got a Radio Hallam banner then I think it would be at The Students Union, Radio Hallam hosted an hour long live special from there. You could email them to me at: [email protected]

Many, many thanks!

Sadly yes. My brother Simon, the guitarist also died earlier this year after a long battle with cancer. Robin came to the funeral, had a long chat about the good old days.

Sorry to hear that. RIP John and Simon.

Hi there, I am trying to find Robin from The Extras for a piece I am writing on the band.