Woodthorpe School

Does anyone remember Woodthorpe School swimming pool, it belonged to the school and we paid for a new roof by taking jam jars to school to have a new roof put on the baths.

Edited by nikki-red

I remember Woodthorpe baths, but I was never at the senior school. I left the juniors in 1950 and went on to grammar school. I learnt the basics of swimming at Woodthorpe and remember that we started off with a wooden board which we hung on to and kicked our legs. It looked such an enormous expanse of water and I was scared to death that I was going to drown. I would try anything to get out of going but eventually mastered swimming with the grammar school, at Heeley baths.

I remember Woodthorpe baths as well:( I was just learning to swim and as I came into the side, a cleaner was walking past with a bucket of chlorine/water or similar. As she got level with me the handle on the bucket broke....I got the lot in my face. I remember someone leaning over and splashing the pool water over my eyes..I remember screaming......I remember it was as shrill as if the whistle had been blown....I remember everyone stopping and looking.

Shortly after, I had an eye test and found I had to wear glasses. I always blamed the chlorine but my dad always said it was in my genes.....this was in the fifties, but can you imagine now. It would have been a definite claim wouldn't it?

Hiya as any one got any pics of the old woodthorpe school as we cant find any at all anywhere. would like them as daughter set up page on face book for ex woodthorpe students. Its like the old school never existed.

Kirky once posted some excellent pictures of the school, but they were probably deleted when he was banned:confused:

Kirky once posted some excellent pictures of the school, but they were probably deleted when he was banned:confused:

.........:wave:

its about time Kirky was allowed back on, my windows need cleaning and he was good at that ;)

he has been gone so long now he is probably as round as his windows were :hihi:

I hear he is a jolly good pole technician :hihi: never leaves a trace :thumbsup:

Yes, Kirky and Owdlad were a great double act. I often wonder what they're up to now. They did entertain us and inform us and I think you could, sort of, tell that they were decent and funny in real life too.

Owdlad, Well I never. just spotted your name and great to see you are still here. Haven't been in contact much on the puter but trying hard to get into it again, Hope you are well and Mrs. Owd too. Yeah!! where is my friend Kirky say hello if ya see him Owdlad not seen Hazel either. We used to have some good little talks. Things are settling down here now it takes time. See Ya

Vera.