Charles Ross,Structural Engineers,London Road

Anyone remember or work for this company.I worked there 1970 to 1973.

I worked for them as well

was they on queens rd on the corner of charlotte rd opposite the bus garage?

charles ross if i rember right, was on london rd heeley bottom across from broadfield rd.

My old neighbour and family friend Derick Street worked there until Ill health caused hinckley into early retirement. Prob in the 70s.

---------- Post added 11-09-2014 at 19:46 ----------

"Caused him" even.

was there a structual engineers 0n queens road on the opposite corner to the bus repair workshop, on the other corner was arnold lavers where b&q is now and on the forth corner i think was a single story building caudles i think

charles ross if i rember right, was on london rd heeley bottom across from broadfield rd.

Charles Ross Ltd.constructional engineers, 481 London Road, (1965 directory).

---------- Post added 12-09-2014 at 11:07 ----------

was there a structual engineers 0n queens road on the opposite corner to the bus repair workshop, on the other corner was arnold lavers where b&q is now and on the forth corner i think was a single story building caudles i think

Yes there was.

W. H. Blake & Co. Ltd., constructional engineers, Victoria works, Queens Road (1965 directory).

Charles Ross Ltd.constructional engineers, 481 London Road, (1965 directory).

---------- Post added 12-09-2014 at 11:07 ----------

Yes there was.

W. H. Blake & Co. Ltd., constructional engineers, Victoria works, Queens Road (1965 directory).

Yep, that's correct, I used to catch the 28 bus from Herdings and get off outside Blakes then walk up Queens Road and then along London Road to work at Charles Ross's which was opposite Broadfield Road. If we had a delivery of steel we would stop the traffic on London Road the wagons would have to drive into Broadfield Road and then reverse into the workshop entrance.

---------- Post added 13-09-2014 at 10:09 ----------

My old neighbour and family friend Derick Street worked there until Ill health caused hinckley into early retirement. Prob in the 70s.

---------- Post added 11-09-2014 at 19:46 ----------

"Caused him" even.

Derick Street? Can't remember him, any idea what he did?

Hi GVOWL yes Derick was a crane driver and yard man he had a thumb missing on one hand from a pit accident in Barnsley. He lived in the flats at the bottom of Valley Rd He smoked Piccadilly cigarets but not a big drinker. A nice guy with always a tail to tell.

Yes, I think I remember him now.

Yep, that's correct, I used to catch the 28 bus from Herdings and get off outside Blakes then walk up Queens Road and then along London Road to work at Charles Ross's which was opposite Broadfield Road. If we had a delivery of steel we would stop the traffic on London Road the wagons would have to drive into Broadfield Road and then reverse into the workshop entrance.

---------- Post added 13-09-2014 at 10:09 ----------

I remember the yard crane (perhaps the only crane) was the old Scotch Derrick type and due to the limited space, it straddled the river. The cranes pivot (slewing ring), mast hoist, etc., were set up on the London Road side of the Sheaf while the back legs were anchored to large concrete blocks on the other side of the river. Does anyone remember this?.

I worked a lot with cranes over the years but I have never seen anything quite like the Ross Crane set up.

Regards