High Green Comp pack horse lane (now paces)

Hi all,

I left HGS in 1994 the year before it was closed down. We we're give the option (then in year 7) to either stay on for another year or go right away. I then moved to Stocksbridge comp for year 8. We the. Moved to Devon halfway through the school year. Anyway, I have great memories of the school... Looking back I remember it being quite a small school in terms of class sizes etc. Seemed quite "cozy" if that makes sense. Certainly far more so than my school in a Devon...maybe just because I grew up there and knew most of the kids from primary?....

(Sorry I'm waffling now) I was hoping somebody may have some photos of the school? I can't find anything anywhere!! Also I'm trying to remember the uniform? I can recall the logo HGS on the jumper but that's about it...of course any other memories you may have :)

Lee Wardle

Hi Lee, I have you on facebook I think! :D I went to High Green comp, and stayed till the end, moving to stocksbridge in 1995.

The uniform was a dark blue jumper, light blue polo shirt and black trousers or skirt. I have the logo on a mug, and a commemorative booklet somewhere, must scan it in!

I also have some pics, but the campus is now used as a school for children with cerebral palsy, amongst other things. The outside hasn't changed at all (I still live here and am a regular visitor to the building. To be honest, the inside hasn't changed that much! They do have a website and facebook page which probably has pics on. I can easily get some if not though!

As for memories, too many to mention! I loved the place and was gutted when it closed.

Ah right!! Hello!! Had it in my head that the polo shirt was white don't know why! So did you start in 93 same as me then? Can you remember what class you were in? I can't remember her name but I remember she was a biology teacher and looked like wisardora!! :D

I think I was a year above you, I started in 92. I know quite a few who would have been in your year though!

My form teacher was Ms Williams, a geography teacher. She went to work at Ecclesfield, and left / retired possibly a few years ago.

I know the teacher you mean, can't for the life of me remember her name though!

Mrs or Miss Birdeykin was, I think, the other female science teacher.

I ended up in Miss Hepher's form class when we were forced to move to Ecclesfield.

The large windows of the Art and Technology block have been boarded over last time I walked past the old school and down to the ochre. The Five Arches bridge was demolished some time ago.

The school was superbly equipped having been built in the 1980's as a phase 1 school. It had a full size sports hall and a well equipped drama studio complete with a control room and not inconsiderable electronics and lighting rigs. Unfortunately for financial reasons the decision was taken not to enlarge the school.

A sad day when they announced the school did not attain grant maintained status.

Miss Hepher, thats the one I'm thinking of, my word, that woman terrified me!

Miss Hepher, thats the one I'm thinking of, my word, that woman terrified me!

I didn't really have anything to do with her until we transferred to Ecclesfield. She was always OK with me but I did feel she used to purposely bait certain people who were not doing anything wrong to get a reaction out of them and then punish them.

Paul my first love went here what's he doing now left in 80