Sheffield Work house?

My 4 x great grandfather Daniel Veneer died in the workhouse in 1887 I wanted to know is there anything online that I can search about why he went in etc thanks

"Which workhouse?", is the first question that needs answering before your search starts.

There were at least three workhouses in Sheffield, so that needs narrowing down.

Normally, someone went into a workhouse as a very last resort. It was generally considered a fate worse than death, to enter the workhouse.

There were no such things then as what we know as children's homes, so if a child was orphaned, or, if one or other of the parents died, and the surviving parent was unable to look after them, then they would go into the workhouse.

Losing your job could also put you and your family (wife, children) into the workhouse, as there was no such thing as 'welfare' then. If you had no work, you had no money, and you would have to throw yourself on the 'mercy' of the workhouse.

Ditto, if you had become sick, or elderly, and had no means of making a living. There was no such thing as a pension, or invalidity benefits.

Again, it would mean you having to go to the workhouse, for food and shelter.

I've found six, there may have been more.

West Bar, Kelham St

Sheffield Union, Firvale

Wortley Union, Grenoside

Brightside Bierlow, Rock St

Nether Hallam, Crookesmoor

Ecclesall, Union Rd.

Anyone know of any others?

I've found six, there may have been more.

West Bar, Kelham St

Sheffield Union, Firvale

Wortley Union, Grenoside

Brightside Bierlow, Rock St

Nether Hallam, Crookesmoor

Ecclesall, Union Rd.

Anyone know of any others?

The Union Road workhouse became Nether Edge hospital, which in its turn has now become a development of swish apartments. I can't swear to it, but I seem to think it was also known as 'the union workhouse'...

The one at Fir Vale is what became 'The City General hospital, until about 1963, which then was renamed the 'Northern General' hospital.

Hi part of the northern general was one on vickers corridor and other place in the grounds lotss of listed grade 2 buildings on the site. There was one at middle wood where the asylum was before that I am Told that wars a work hour, also one on Gibraltar street opposite the fire museum and may be old hospital that was an isolation hospital at lodge moor sure there will be a few more around the city. The inmates weren't locked up they were made to go out and work to help feed them they held loads of

Pregnant girls there many died. In them