Boat at Cleethorpes?

This question only applies to older members really, does anyone remember a large boat on Cleethorpes sands. it would be about sixty years ago and it was turned into a cafe?

This question only applies to older members really, does anyone remember a large boat on Cleethorpes sands. it would be about sixty years ago and it was turned into a cafe?

Yes Applegrim I recall that boat. If I remember correctly it was made of wood and sited adjacent to the railway station on the sands at the North Promenade before you reached the funfair which, I believe was called Olympia. All the rides there were indoors except the Big Dipper.

The boat was really old and decrepit even in those days and it always reminded me of a scene from David Copperfield where the Peggotty family live in a boat on the shore. Not sure when it disappeared but it must have been a long time ago. Maybe someone else knows the answer.

echo

Edited by echo beach

And that end of Cleethorpes is now an absolute hole sadly, Olympia now a market and not a very good one at that.

I remember the boat it had been turned into a Restaraunt/ Cafe, it must have been around 1957 when I saw it. As you say it was beached high up on the sands. I'm sure it was made of iron and wasn't it a paddle boat?

Edited by lazarus

Lazarus, I think you've got it, it was in the days when we used to go to the seaside for the day with the clubs,although it was probably more like 1950, I have always wondered if it was me having a senior moment as I've never met anyone who can remember it, but I can clearly see my granddad passing me a dish of ice cream, Thank you for helping me sort out a very old memory...A

Lazarus, I think you've got it, it was in the days when we used to go to the seaside for the day with the clubs,although it was probably more like 1950, I have always wondered if it was me having a senior moment as I've never met anyone who can remember it, but I can clearly see my granddad passing me a dish of ice cream, Thank you for helping me sort out a very old memory...A

I know I saw it as I said the middle fifties it wasn't there before that, I too went with the clubs but it was from 1955 onwards and it wasn't there before then as i would have remembered it, I'd been a couple of times after 1954 and it wasn't there then,then the next time I went t was there, it couldn't have been there in 1950 as I was much to young to go on my own, me being only five, so it has to be like I said 1956 onwards.

Edited by lazarus

I know I saw it as I said the middle fifties it wasn't there before that, I too went with the clubs but it was from 1955 onwards and it wasn't there before then as i would have remembered it, I'd been a couple of times after 1954 and it wasn't there then,then the next time I went t was there, it couldn't have been there in 1950 as I was much to young to go on my own, me being only five, so it has to be like I said 1956 onwards.

I remember the wooden motor boats near the railway station. Had noticed that the one named Baracuda was the fastest. Couldn't believe my luck when I was at the front of the queue and the Baracuda was there for me :) This would be about 1950.

Cannot remember the boat. I remember the swings and (I think ) a Helta Skelta on the beach. Used to go to Cleethorpes almost every year with the Sheffield Lane Top WMC and the Rose pub on Penistone Road. Bottli of pop and a packet of crisps and a little pocket money. Fish and chips in that big room down the lane that lead to the beach. Thought we had got the world. Those were the days

Cannot remember the boat. I remember the swings and (I think ) a Helta Skelta on the beach. Used to go to Cleethorpes almost every year with the Sheffield Lane Top WMC and the Rose pub on Penistone Road. Bottli of pop and a packet of crisps and a little pocket money. Fish and chips in that big room down the lane that lead to the beach. Thought we had got the world. Those were the days

Spent many a Bank Holiday in "Wonderland" amusements.

The fried fish sold in Cleethorpes were huge (before the Common Market trawlers were let in).

I always wanted a ride on the amphibious ex-army DUKWs that rode up and down the wet sands but never managed it!

Spent many a Bank Holiday in "Wonderland" amusements.

The fried fish sold in Cleethorpes were huge (before the Common Market trawlers were let in).

I always wanted a ride on the amphibious ex-army DUKWs that rode up and down the wet sands but never managed it!

Not wishing to make you jealous, but I did get a ride in/on a 'duck' there in the early 50's.:)

Went in one a few years ago also at some sort of pleasure land on some sort of testing ground, lots of hills and bends and deep puddles but can't remember where. Seem to remember actually floating at one stage. I believe the amphibious DUKW was built on the chassis of the American army truck that was built in the thousands during WW2. Certainly sounded and felt like it too!

Peter

Edited by PeterR