The old "penknife tip" sheffield 6.

Anybody on here remember the old penknife tip as it was known in S6 somewhere.Kids used to search a tip in this area and find some superb knives that were obviously seconds but looked great........sheaf knives ,pocket knives ect,pearl ,bone, wood handles don't know who dumped them there?

Anybody on here remember the old penknife tip as it was known in S6 somewhere.Kids used to search a tip in this area and find some superb knives that were obviously seconds but looked great........sheaf knives ,pocket knives ect,pearl ,bone, wood handles don't know who dumped them there?

Also around Skeltons at Heeley Bottom, there were a lot of machete or gurkha blanks lying 3 deep at the bottom of the Sheaf.

Put a twine or tape handle on them file the edge and you had a very useful (and dangerous) tool.

In those days, just after the war, we were as good as any scavengers from the Third World :)

In the Fifties we used to "collect" unwanted penknife blades from the Richards factory just off the Moor. Didn't realise it was such a common crime.

Yes it was on Myers Grove Lane remember it well. It was just above

where the Pinegrove Country Club was.

Used to have some blades and bone handles,

was never fortunate enough to find a complete knife.

bazjea is correct and i agree that i never found a knife but picked up lots of blades etc.

Am i right in saying there was also a pub nearby called the Robin Hood?

Yes it was on Myers Grove Lane remember it well. It was just above

where the Pinegrove Country Club was.

Used to have some blades and bone handles,

was never fortunate enough to find a complete knife.

Thanks for that......I think i remember it now.I do remember some kids coming to school with nice knives they said they had dug up on the tip!

Of course knives were the must have piece of kit in those days like an Iphone these days.

---------- Post added 08-09-2014 at 09:07 ----------

bazjea is correct and i agree that i never found a knife but picked up lots of blades etc.

Am i right in saying there was also a pub nearby called the Robin Hood?

Correct!...........now turned into flats I believe.

Also around Skeltons at Heeley Bottom, there were a lot of machete or gurkha blanks lying 3 deep at the bottom of the Sheaf.

Put a twine or tape handle on them file the edge and you had a very useful (and dangerous) tool.

In those days, just after the war, we were as good as any scavengers from the Third World :)

I got my machete Knives from near the Broadfield Road bridge. We used to done our wellingtons and wade right up past the Baths bridge, searching for anything we thought useful.

I got my machete Knives from near the Broadfield Road bridge. We used to done our wellingtons and wade right up past the Baths bridge, searching for anything we thought useful.

Now I come to think of it, you are right, it was near the Broadfield Bridge.

Like you, if we were lucky enough to get a new pair of wellys, we would try to get as far down the Sheaf as we could towards town. We never made it all the way.

But I wonder why all that stuff was dumped in the river, because scrap metal was fairly valuable in those days.

There was a pen knife tip on what was called the meadows, it was between Neepsend gas works and the Shirecliffe estate.

If a non rectify mistake was made on a product in the workshop it went in the spare locker (Canal). The gaffer thought it was better than showing mistakes we had made.

Talking of "The Meadows" I remember it well, on our way back from the Ritz saturday mornings we would run onto the meadows at the boffom of Scraithwood Drive (not sure of spelling) and reenact the scenes from the cowboy film we had just seen......guess it would be 1953 up to about 1957 (memories eh)

the penknife tip was up Myers Grove Rd had some smashing penknives from there .near the Robin Hood pub there was a mine ,the miners walked down it they used to shine their lamps on their faces and make ghostly noises we nearly sh...t our selves. years later when I worked for Crofts of Dykes Hall we put railing up ,had to weal the concrete all the way down I was 17 am now 76 and fit as a fart no ooming rites then if you couldn,t do the job **** off

---------- Post added 12-09-2014 at 12:26 ----------

the penknife tip was up Myers Grove Rd had some smashing penknives from there .near the Robin Hood pub there was a mine ,the miners walked down it they used to shine their lamps on their faces and make ghostly noises we nearly sh...t our selves. years later when I worked for Crofts of Dykes Hall we put trailing up ,had to weal the concrete all the way down I was 17 am now 76 and fit as a fart no ooming rites then if you couldn,t do the job **** off

---------- Post added 12-09-2014 at 12:27 ----------

the penknife tip was up Myers Grove Rd had some smashing penknives from there .near the Robin Hood pub there was a mine ,the miners walked down it they used to shine their lamps on their faces and make ghostly noises we nearly sh...t our selves. years later when I worked for Crofts of Dykes Hall we put trailing up ,had to weal the concrete all the way down I was 17 am now 76 and fit as a fart no ooming rites then if you couldn,t do the job **** off

---------- Post added 12-09-2014 at 12:28 ----------

---------- Post added 12-09-2014 at 12:32 ----------

Edited by davebrmm
spelling