Pubs in Sheffield City Centre 1970's

We frequented the Stone House during the early years of our marriage in the 70`s. Vic Atkinson was the landlord, with his wife Muriel. The bouncers were Bob Hodder and Dave Norton. We had some great evenings there

any one remember the Hermitage on London road in the 80s it was very good on a friday/saturday night

I remember Newcastle playing at Bramall Lane and the Police advised all the pubs to either close or board the front up, the manageress said she would sort the hooligan geordies out and opened as normal.

They wrecked the place.

Me and my mates used to go to The Mulberry first, then onto The Stonehouse and usually finished up in Crazy Daizy, sometimes we would go to Romeo and Juliets but only if we got a bit more dressed up.

I remember the first time i went in The Stonehouse and they had the courtyard with the ceiling that looked like the night sky, i was pretty wobbly when i went in and i thought bl@@dy hell whats in my beer tonight :hihi:

i had some good nights out in the merry england i think it closed about 1973.

---------- Post added 27-06-2014 at 17:46 ----------

it was under the black swan on snig hill.

---------- Post added 27-06-2014 at 19:11 ----------

the dj at the merry england was called frank he worked for the council during the day i remember terry and slim my friend had a crush on slim.

I "worked" at PCL in the 1970s. Staff would cross the footbridge to go to the Pump (Tetleys) and works used Lord Nelson (Stones). There was also the Truro Tavern (Tennants) and the Matila (Wards) close by. The only one remaining is Nelson.

PCL burned down and the fire station occupies the site (ironic innit).

A few other pubs round there were

Royal Standard ..still going

Montgomery. The roof fell in whilst we were playing juke box one lunchtime.

Red Lion.. still going.

I loved the Truro Tavern. It had a tiny bar about 6 foot across. On one side of the bar top there was a glass case full of pies being cooked by the heat of a light bulb. At the other the landlady cooked chips using a primus stove. They even sold beer. It would be a nice story if the pub had burned down from a chip pan fine. Unfortunately it end up being ploughed in so they could widen St Mary's Gate.

This was all in the days when a typical working lunch was a pub pie and 3 pints of bitter. Not much got done in the afternoons.

Do you remember Robert {Rab} Green from CPL?

Not sure where you got your info from, but PCL did not burn down, it moved up to their Mosborough site which they still occupy today.

the land was sold and was a car park for a few years before the Fire station was built.

Anyone remember The Gay Paree (or Paris I can't remember) in Fitzallan Square, in the 70's I think.

Probably have a different clientele if it was still open,LOL

Not sure where you got your info from, but PCL did not burn down, it moved up to their Mosborough site which they still occupy today.

the land was sold and was a car park for a few years before the Fire station was built.

you're right PCL moved to the Holbrook Ind. Estate and is still going, I know this as I worked for them at both sites. A lot of the people that worked there used the Pump now gone and Fannies which I believe is still there.

Anyone remember The Gay Paree (or Paris I can't remember) in Fitzallan Square, in the 70's I think.

The pub was in Cambridge Street.

It was under Marples,those days Gay meant happy.:)