Where is the best place to live in Liverpool?

From the city centre heading west...

....you'd fall in the river, wouldn't you? :huh:

Or is the modern "city centre" some distance removed from the docks ... in times past, given the tradition in this country of living west of any industrial area to avoid being downwind of it, there really wasn't a nice area of Liverpool; those who could afford it went across the water to the Wirral, and be upwind of the docks.

I have no idea how expensive it is nowadays to live in the Wirral and commute. There are at least two tunnels under the Mersey, though. Gerry would have to change his lyrics if he wrote the song now...

in times past, given the tradition in this country of living west of any industrial area to avoid being downwind of it, there really wasn't a nice area of Liverpool; those who could afford it went across the water to the Wirral, and be upwind of the docks.

:D

It's funny. And fortunately, complete cobblers.

I meant head east! :blush:

Do I win the Forum Idiot of the Day award?

x

There are plenty of places on the Wirral to rent a flat. Birkenhead, New Ferry, Bebington, Bromborough - all near the railway. Commuting expense is reasonable as you can get a seasonal zone ticket - for a year if you want, covers you for bus and train. In Liverpool my son rented a flat at the end of Dale Street for a couple of years and had no trouble.

I meant head east! :blush:

Do I win the Forum Idiot of the Day award?

x

I shall probably make a sillier mistake than that before the day is out.

Or is the modern "city centre" some distance removed from the docks ... in times past, given the tradition in this country of living west of any industrial area to avoid being downwind of it, there really wasn't a nice area of Liverpool; those who could afford it went across the water to the Wirral, and be upwind of the docks.

I have no idea how expensive it is nowadays to live in the Wirral and commute. There are at least two tunnels under the Mersey, though. Gerry would have to change his lyrics if he wrote the song now...

That is the biggest load of bullploppy I've heard in a long time, thanks for the laugh though!

I can tell you where NOT to live, if that would help?

From the city centre heading west, avoid the following areas:

Kensington, Fairfield, Old Swan, Huyton

From the south, heading north:

Toxteth, Shiel Road, Everton, Anfield, Walton

There will be 'nice' streets (by Liverpool standards) amongst the above areas, but unless you know what streets to avoid, your son WILL be mugged or killed.

Where to live?

Mossley Hill is nice but on the outskirts of the city, so might be commutable to the city centre in 30 minutes. Also, there are plenty of flats apartments in the city centre.

x

Most people speak like this but in my experience of LIverpool propety crime is quite high but personal attacks are quite rare.As other say Sefton Park is fine and there are some good parts around Toxteth.Rent with a freind for a short time and weigh up areas for yourself.

OP - There's a forum on the Echo site. Looks quite active.

Just looked again and it seems to be football dominated and a bit on local news. There's specific forums for different areas though.

Edited by GrannyGranny

Aigburth is a good residential area but could be pricey.

Otherwise there are plenty of new developments in the town centre with apartments to let. Look at Liverpool 1 area.

Students tend to live around the Smithdown Rd area,