Sheffield Forum

Rate the last film that you've seen - part two

Home > General > Entertainment Chat

Reply To Topic

16-02-2017, 14:51   #1521
TORONTONY

Total Posts: 1,663
Pulled out an old DVD last night Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Forgot how hilarious it was. Terence Stamp and his Aussie mates play great "ladies" and the miming to diva songs is amazing Got to be 9/10 for me, but may not suit everyone.
16-02-2017, 16:01   #1522
sgtkate

Total Posts: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORONTONY View Post
Pulled out an old DVD last night Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Forgot how hilarious it was. Terence Stamp and his Aussie mates play great "ladies" and the miming to diva songs is amazing Got to be 9/10 for me, but may not suit everyone.
Love that film and the play as well. Saw it with Jason Donovan a few years ago. Wonderful!
17-02-2017, 15:33   #1523
NigelFargate

Total Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by apelike View Post
I agree that his deeds are documented but this film especially the first half has a great deal of fiction in it and has been Hollywood-ised to sell. Doss was married before he was sent away so didn't miss the wedding day, he was not dragged out of bed an beaten, his wife was not a Nurse, his father did not intervene as portrayed. He did not prey with soldiers around him before ascending the ridge, he did not lower any Japanese soldiers down. Undoubtedly he was outstandingly brave but the film, as said added a lot of fiction to bulk it out. I'm always wary when a film state its based on real events.

But it was a Gibson film and look how accurate Brave-heart was..
These are trivial points about Hacksaw Ridge and in no way invalidate its quality as an outstanding film - and as one of the very best (and most accurate) portrayals of the savage nature of the fighting in the Pacific war.

Regarding the first part of the film, the portrayal of Doss as a modest, polite but determined conscientious objector and a man of faith is definitely true, as is the central role of his wife in his life, both before he entered military service and subsequently. There is an old 'This is Your Life' programme about Doss (available on youtube), in which he appears with his wife and child and also with some of his old comrades and superior officers who praise him to the skies for his bravery. Doss comes across as modest and unassuming, but also a man of faith, as portrayed in the film.

But it is the second part of the film (i.e. the fighting on Okinawa) which makes it so memorable and which makes it one of the very best films ever made in this genre. Gibson has been criticised for focusing too much on the blood and gore in the battle scenes. However, if you read the memoirs of soldiers who actually fought in the Pacific war, you would realise that Gibson had good reason for doing so. For example, if you read the famous book by Eugene Sledge, called 'With the Old Breed', which recounts his experience as an infantryman in the battles of of Pelelliu and Okinawa, Gibson's film rings very true. The savagery of the fighting, much of it at close quarters as told by Sledge is almost unbelievable. For example, the Japanese relied heavily on heavy mortars, capable of ripping human bodies to pieces, as shown in Gibson's film (rather than being wounded in mentionable places, as in many Hollywood films). Moreover, the cruelties inflicted by Japanese soldiers on captured marines is well-documented in Sledge's account, as is the desperate hand to hand fighting between the two sides, again well captured by Gibson in this remarkable film.

---------- Post added 17-02-2017 at 15:46 ----------

Toni Erdmann 7/10

This film is long and ponderous, but deserves seeing (although you will probably either love or hate it). It is a German comedy (yes, there are such things - remember Goodbye Lenin?).

It has echoes of 'About Schmidt', but with a different story line, and centres on a retiree seemingly obsessed with his daughter who is climbing up the corporate ladder. He seems determined to embarrass his daughter by turning up at her workplaces in odd costumes.

I thought it was too long, but it is worth staying to the end, if only for the naked party scene in the latter part of the film.

Last edited by NigelFargate; 17-02-2017 at 19:06.
17-02-2017, 23:07   #1524
nikki-red
Pyjama addict

Total Posts: 49,969
The Girl on the Train 8/10

Really enjoyed it. Id only seen a few brief reviews so had no idea what to expect and didnt really see any of it coming.
Great acting from Emily Blunt as Rachel - the girl on the train.
_______
They come they come, to build a wall between us.
We know they wont win.
Dont let them win.
17-02-2017, 23:09   #1525
_lecro_

Total Posts: 683
Shaun of the dead.. for the 100th time

10/10
18-02-2017, 23:27   #1526
top4718

Total Posts: 8,656
Love & Mercy - 6.5/10 - Biopic of Beach Boy Brian Wilson and his problems with his physicist Eugene Landy who possibly made his mental issues worse, Wilson is played by two actors (Paul Dano and John Cusack) as the film flits between the 60's and the 80's Dano plays the better role. Obviously contains some very good music.
18-02-2017, 23:32   #1527
Cyclone

Total Posts: 67,474
John Wick 2 - 7/10 - It's good, but silly, sillier than the first one, and in the nature of sequels, not quite as good.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
19-02-2017, 09:00   #1528
nikki-red
Pyjama addict

Hacksaw Ridge 10/10

Brilliant film. Violent and gory, yet emotional and thought provoking.
_______
We know they wont win.
Dont let them win.
19-02-2017, 13:48   #1529
AmberLeaf

Total Posts: 499
Drive. 10 out of 10

I'm so glad that bloke didn't die in the end!
19-02-2017, 21:54   #1530
nikki-red
Pyjama addict

I, Daniel Blake 9/10

Really powerful performances from the 2 main characters (Daniel & Katie)

I know theres been a lot of reviews saying its not a true representation of the system etc, but even if it represents 1 persons experience its too many.
From a personal point of view, Katies story really put things into perspective. Made me think how lucky I actually am.
_______
We know they wont win.
Dont let them win.
19-02-2017, 22:22   #1531
top4718

Total Posts: 8,656
Bit of a John Hughes fest today:

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - 8/10 - John Candy and Steve Martin in great form in a fantastic comedy.

The Breakfast Club - 6.5/10 - A little more serious this one but still a good watch.
19-02-2017, 22:27   #1532
nikki-red
Pyjama addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by top4718 View Post
Bit of a John Hughes fest today:

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - 8/10 - John Candy and Steve Martin in great form in a fantastic comedy.

The Breakfast Club - 6.5/10 - A little more serious this one but still a good watch.

When my brother and I were young, every time we had the chance we'd alternate between watching The Breakfast Club and Ferris Buellers Day Off. I dread to think how many times we watched them.

I have teenage boys now who also love them both
_______
We know they wont win.
Dont let them win.
19-02-2017, 23:58   #1533
mickey finn

Total Posts: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLeaf View Post
Drive. 10 out of 10

I'm so glad that bloke didn't die in the end!
Is that the Ryan Gosling film ?
20-02-2017, 05:25   #1534
AmberLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey finn View Post
Is that the Ryan Gosling film ?
Yes it is.

I also watched a film called 'The Operator', and I give it a 2. It was absolute drivel!
The People vs Larry Flynt was quite funny tho!

Last edited by AmberLeaf; 20-02-2017 at 05:29.
20-02-2017, 17:15   #1535
mickey finn

Quote:
Yes it is.

I also watched a film called 'The Operator', and I give it a 2. It was absolute drivel!
The People vs Larry Flynt was quite funny tho!
Drive was very good, a real slow burner that suited Goslings moody style. There was some incredibly long staring scenes with his leading lady Carey Mulligan, I remember saying to the other half it must have taken about an hour to learn all their lines, it worked well though.
Hugh Jackman was supposed to have played the drivers part but had other commitments.

Last edited by mickey finn; 20-02-2017 at 17:18.
20-02-2017, 17:54   #1536
bothamlad

Total Posts: 114
Testament of youth ,adaptation of the book by Vera Brittain . based on her memoirs from 1900 to 1920, revolving around the first world war,her time at oxford ,and the effects the war had on her personally,which in turn led to her becoming a leading pacifist.9/10.
_______
if you think you're too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito.
21-02-2017, 07:07   #1537
AmberLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey finn View Post
Drive was very good, a real slow burner that suited Goslings moody style. There was some incredibly long staring scenes with his leading lady Carey Mulligan, I remember saying to the other half it must have taken about an hour to learn all their lines, it worked well though.
Hugh Jackman was supposed to have played the drivers part but had other commitments.
I think Hugh Jackman is better off sticking to being Wolvervine, lol. Ryan Gosling is a good actor, but I'm not remotely tempted to go and see La La Land.
Drive also had some really good 80's style film posters for it.
21-02-2017, 10:20   #1538
Phanerothyme
Psychenaut

Total Posts: 16,424
If ... (Lindsay Anderson - 196

Malcolm McDowell's screen debut which led to him being cast as Alex by Kubrick in 'A Clockwork Orange.'

Incandescently angry, bendy and surreal, indicative of the time, and enormously innovative. 8.75/10
_______
SWYgeW91IGNvdWxkIGhlYXIsIGF0IGV2ZXJ5IGpvbHQsIHRoZS BibG9vZA0KQ29tZSBnYXJnbGluZyBmcm9tIHRoZSBmcm90aC1j b3JydXB0ZWQgbHVuZ3MsDQpPYnNjZW5lIGFzIGNhbmNlciwgYm l0dGVyIGFzIHRoZSBjdWQNCk9mIHZpbGUsIGluY3VyYWJsZSBz b3JlcyBvbiBpbm5vY2VudCB0b25ndWVzLOKAlA==
21-02-2017, 12:32   #1539
mickey finn

Quote:
I think Hugh Jackman is better off sticking to being Wolvervine, lol. Ryan Gosling is a good actor, but I'm not remotely tempted to go and see La La Land.
Drive also had some really good 80's style film posters for it.
21-02-2017, 22:13   #1540
tinfoilhat

Total Posts: 13,018
Shutter island. I've seen this before and enjoyed it but it's well worth watching again once you know the big twist at the end to pick up all the subtle comments etc that you (well, I missed) missed first time around. 8/10
_______
We get the world we deserve.
Reply To Topic