How do I get a CRB check done?

I Have had 1 crb check from the city council and this has been used by two other organisations that i have worked for, some companies/organisations want you to get a new one each time you go for a job but its not law, so some people will have more than one.

personaly i reckon 1 should cover all jobs ( mind you they need to be renewed) after all they should all come back the same, unless you commited a crime in between.

Google crbs there are umberella organisations that should sort you out cost between £35 - £50.

But would the places you work in come under Sheffield city council authority? I assume they would as no organisation/business should accept a CRB that is from another employer. You may have been sacked from said employer days after having the check clear and have moved on to another employer (hence they should always request a new one!)

P.S, OFSTED is an umbarella organisation

Some info here - some people cant have them done (see the site)...

I dont get that. Why can't you have one yourself? Can you fake your own CRB or something?

But would the places you work in come under Sheffield city council authority? I assume they would as no organisation/business should accept a CRB that is from another employer. You may have been sacked from said employer days after having the check clear and have moved on to another employer (hence they should always request a new one!)

P.S, OFSTED is an umbarella organisation

What would being sacked have to do with it, it doesn't alter the result of the CRB.

For that matter you could be a child molester who simply hasn't been caught yet, CRB's don't guarantee anything except that you haven't been caught.

What would being sacked have to do with it, it doesn't alter the result of the CRB.

For that matter you could be a child molester who simply hasn't been caught yet, CRB's don't guarantee anything except that you haven't been caught.

It would if you were sacked for doing something criminal!

The people you are working for should do this for you. I had one done when working voluntary for Mencap so if you're in paid employment, they definitely should do it for you.

THe problem is that a CRB check is similar to a car MOT in that it is only valid on the DAY that it is produced, thereafter the employer uses his or her own judgement as to your suitability.

If another organisation chooses to accept a month old CRB check they are taking a risk as new crimes may have been registered in the intervening period.

It would if you were sacked for doing something criminal!

Well yes, but equally you might do something criminal and not be caught, or you might do something criminal and not be sacked (if you concealed it from your employer). So accepting a CRB check done elsewhere isn't any more or less unsafe than not accepting it.

Well yes, but equally you might do something criminal and not be caught, or you might do something criminal and not be sacked (if you concealed it from your employer). So accepting a CRB check done elsewhere isn't any more or less unsafe than not accepting it.

So, let me get this straight, you think...why bother?

My opinion of the CRB isn't particularly high. But that's separate to my opinion that having to have a new one every time you change jobs is a waste of time.

My opinion of the CRB isn't particularly high. But that's separate to my opinion that having to have a new one every time you change jobs is a waste of time.

i do agree with you as i have a crb check done in november, applied for a new job at the end of december, got the job, but i am waiting for the crb check to come back before i can start work, today got a interview and will be told the same, that a crb check isnt transferable, so i could get the one sent off in january, and i cant use it, so il be waiting yet again to start work, they used to be transferable and had to be renewed every year but it has all changed now.

and even if you have done a conviction years ago, it will still show up on your crb. i have a conviction from 17 years ago (shoplifting) and it still shows up so i have to declare it on my application form

It's all because of the SOHAM murders.

The guy, Huntley had several police checks that had not been done completely, the result... go too far.

AS I said earlier I carry a MOD security clearance which goes much further thaan a CRB check but I still have to have the CRB's.