Do Virgin Media have to honour a contract?

My eldest son signed a contract with Virgin Media which gave him unlimited internet access on his phone and he's stuck to his side of the deal by paying regularly.

Last week he got a letter from Virgin telling him that they were changing it due to it being uneconomical for them (can't recall exact words) and they are moving him to another tariff.

My question is are they allowed to do this, has anyone ever challenged this previously?

Thanks

in the t@cs their is usually something along the lines of they can alter the contract and the customer will be contacted about this even before the contract runs out. three did it to me and not a lot I could do about it :roll:

Possibly if in the contract he is subject to a fair usage clause and this is the reason for him been changed onto another tariff.

Some contracts are changed and you are needed to be given 30 days notice by the company.

However if they are giving him notice he should be subject to a major change of contract and he should be allowed to be released without incurring any early disconnection payments if he wants to request this.

There's always a clause in contracts that allow the company to change the contract when ever they need (or rather, want to) - provided they inform the customer with at least X days/weeks/months notice.

Three is the ONLY mobile company to offer truly Unlimited data on their mobile tariffs...

others may say it, but Three don't even throttle or traffic manage...

The 3 t&c's suggest they do manage traffic:

Does all you can eat data come with any limits? The limit is how much your device can consume – if you were to actively use data or the Internet on your phone every second, of every day, in every month (and we would be worried if you were !!!!) you would, subject to the current traffic management requirements (which vary from time to time), use up to 1000GB per month. So in essence there is a limit of how much data you can actually consume which is up to 1000GB. All this means that you can have absolute peace of mind and enjoy all the internet you need on your smartphone, without worrying.

giffgaff also offer unlimited data, they also have a 'traffic flow policy'.

I would say they're writing to you to inform you of the change and are offering you the chance to decline and leave, otherwise they'll assume you're OK with it.

They can do it but if it's going to cost him more I believe he can exit the contract without penalty

My eldest son signed a contract with Virgin Media which gave him unlimited internet access on his phone and he's stuck to his side of the deal by paying regularly.

Last week he got a letter from Virgin telling him that they were changing it due to it being uneconomical for them (can't recall exact words) and they are moving him to another tariff.

My question is are they allowed to do this, has anyone ever challenged this previously?

Thanks

They can, but it releases him from his obligation to pay. He also gets to keep the handset regardless of how long there is left on the contract. Best bet is to get them to unlock the handset once it's finished, and get a 3 sim and port the number over.

don't even need them to unlock most phone shops can do it easy

Yes but it usually costs more to unlock via a store than the network.

Some networks (O2) don't charge to unlock the handset at all.