Rock Street 1950

Lived in Rock Street 1942 /1949 .. Emigrated to Rhodesia ...My dad worked for Firth Browns .. Went to St Catherine's .. Brother Rodney... We were at 26 Rock Street .. Grandmother at 118 .. (My name Giles .. Grandma Hannan)

looking for Sandra Lockhead .. (Lockwood) lived few houses up on other side of road .. her father had a motor cycle with a side car ...

Remember the corner shop .. Run by Tyrall ..? Tirral ?? Paragon Cinema on Saturdays ?

Memories of rag and bone man... Tobogganing from Pye Bank School down hill to Rock Street .. Corporation Street "Baths'

If anyone has memories ... Knows of Sandra .. Please contact me [email protected]

Hi Luangwa - welcome to the Forum!.:) Directories show the shop at No 12 in the name of Gladys Sylvester but next door at No 14 was Robert Turrell. Your Grandma Elsie Hannan is shown at No 118. When I get a chance I could scan a page from the 1942 directory - might bring back a few memories!

Thank you very much ...the girls at both houses used to let me "tag along" with them to the "pictures" ... spent my "sweet ration" at the shop ... tobogganed down the hill from Pye Bank to Rock Street ...so lots of memories (after a life spent in Africa). Any info gratefully received ... Regards Margaret

Hi Margaret - yes, tobogganing! We used to do this in Hillsborough Park - memories!.:)

Here is a scan of Rock Street from the 1942 Kelly's Directory.

my maternal grandma and grandad ward lived at 44 rock st i remember slyvesters shop at the bottom, just up from them on the same side was a news paper shop ? 2 or 3 more shops and at the top i remember pheazys veg shop .my grandad was a driver at bridgehouses driving those 3 wheel scammels way before that he drove a horse and dray for british railways

hillsbro could you please put the even nos around 44 rock street much obliged...............

Edited by bigal123456
updating

Hi there Margaret & hello hillsbro just seen this and had to say that my mother lived at 147 rock street, her name was Edith Godbehere she went to St Catherine's. your's Tony

My Great Aunt, Eva Morton was born in Rock Street around about the early 1900's. She lived there with her parents and later lived there alone until shortly before her death in the early 1970's. She worked as a solicitors clerk for many years and we in the family thought her very adventurous as she took holidays abroad before it was commonplace for the likes of us! Can't recall the house number. One of her favourite tales was of when in the late 60's she sold her piano and the man who bought it wheeled it off down the road shouting back, 'Eh Missus, it's got some grand wheels!'

My Great Aunt, Eva Morton was born in Rock Street around about the early 1900's. She lived there with her parents and later lived there alone until shortly before her death in the early 1970's. She worked as a solicitors clerk for many years and we in the family thought her very adventurous as she took holidays abroad before it was commonplace for the likes of us! Can't recall the house number. One of her favourite tales was of when in the late 60's she sold her piano and the man who bought it wheeled it off down the road shouting back, 'Eh Missus, it's got some grand wheels!'

my dad was born just of Rock st. one of the side streets below the Rock pub, my aunt lived on Verdon st. I remember a big goat tethered at the far end of the street it was really bad tempered and as I was only young it was very frightening. My dad's family name was Smith.

I lived in Rock St around 1957/8 i didn't go in the rock house but i used

the pub in Cathrine St. I use to sit in the little lounge and it was good beer,

i'am not sure if it was a Tetley House.

They were the best year but towards the years being knocked down it was

a rough house.