Anyone worked at Firth Browns?

I knew Ron Turfitt when he worked in the smithing shop at Firth Brown Tools in the 60's, he was big mates of Ken Siddons another smither.

I went into the smithing shop as an apprenticed in the early 60's

Ron left the UK in the 70's to work in the USA

The last time I saw him was about 1980 when he was over here visiting

Dave Hall

My dad worked for Firth Brown's all his life.....he was called Derek Walker...does anyone remember him...??

Two of my former colleagues where I work now used to work in the X-Ray Dept at Firth Browns. Robert Ash and Vic Powell.

The Department was run by a gentleman called Derek Taylor.

When the department was closed down, our firm bought some of the equipment and still use it today.

Hi!

This is a reply to a message from some time ago which I have only just read. Indeed I have only just found the Forum & I am fascinated by the site!

Vic Powell was the brother- in - law of my cousin, Jeffrey Palmer. He too worked at Firth Browns starting there perhaps the early '50s. His wife, Hazel Powell was in the offices on Saville Street even though that is not how they met.

My father was a blacksmith at a company closely connected to Firth Browns ie. Firth Vickers on Weedon Street in Tinsley.

Jeff lived on Brightside Lane in those years in a house previously owned by my grandma who always maintained it was one of the original houses built there. How very different it looks today when I Google it.

Regards Pauline Underwood

Hi, I worked on Carisle street initially as an apprentice, think the forman was called Aurthur but not shure, then moved accross the road and worked on a snow segmental grinder on shear blades, before ending up in the test house, left FBT to join the Army.

Hi, I worked on Carisle street initially as an apprentice, think the forman was called Aurthur but not shure, then moved accross the road and worked on a snow segmental grinder on shear blades, before ending up in the test house, left FBT to join the Army.

That was probally Arthur Glossop.

I hope a potted history of my time at Firth Browns may be of some interest. Click on this aerial shot. (Click on a pin to show the location. The pins can be removed for a clear view if you register.There is then also access to a great zoom facility). http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw009656

Hi brian1941,

In response to your quote number 21 on page 2 of the thread 'Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (part 3)'

On the aerial pic described above on 'britain from above', Progress and Planning and Forgings Sales are through 36 gate and central warehouse through 37 gate. Scroll down after clicking on the 'britain from above' in blue type to get my comments on them and all the others flagged.

I'm looking forward to any more pics of Firth Browns if you can put some on.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi brian1941,

In response to your quote number 21 on page 2 of the thread 'Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (part 3)'

On the aerial pic described above on 'britain from above', Progress and Planning and Forgings Sales are through 36 gate and central warehouse through 37 gate. Scroll down after clicking on the 'britain from above' in blue type to get my comments on them and all the others flagged.

I'm looking forward to any more pics of Firth Browns if you can put some on.

Peter.

-----------------

Hiya Peter, Thanks for them pics of around Britain, can spend some

time looking at them. i did struggle to mind where them gas tanks were.

PS still working on my pictures could do with some-one to show me.

Brian.

Hi. Does anyone remember George Titmuss. I believe he was a Turner in the 60s & 70s

hi bill did you know a herbert johnson?

---------- Post added 05-09-2014 at 22:11 ----------

ANYONE KNOW A herbert johnson? that worked there in the 1930s 40s 50s early 1960s

Edited by reaney77

My father in law Edward Pitts was a foreman in the tool shop.Worked 12 hour days and nights.Anyone remember him?

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/FirthBrownsMichineShop_zps5e02ba59.jpg

Hi peter R, Not sure if you will get this picture of firth browns on saville st,

look on the right and follow the windows up.

Not the first 4 but the next 3 up was where our mess room was, then next

was our downstairs offices were, then the big door as you see.

Pot luck with this pic. Brian.

---------- Post added 10-09-2014 at 19:12 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/FirthBrownsMichineShop_zps5e02ba59.jpg

Hi peter R, Not sure if you will get this picture of firth browns on saville st,

------------------

Sorry Peter R, Sent wrong pic but it did work, dont know how

but i manage to get a pic on forum.

---------- Post added 10-09-2014 at 19:12 ----------

------------------

Sorry Peter R, Sent wrong pic but it did work, dont know how

but i manage to get a pic on forum.

Never mind Brian. I would like to see the pic you meant to send. Have another go when you get the chance.

Peter.