Anyone come from Lansdowne Rd area?

Oh I'm so jealous.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. But then again, knowing our sainted council, they might come after you.

If I'd been in Sheffield at the time of demolition I would have loved to try and get a brick from my old house.

Just had a thought. I was once told that the houses had inter-connecting cellars, dating from the war years when it was an escape route should a house be bombed, if that makes sense. I don't remember any such myself.

My parents' house on Mount Pleasant Road, just over the way from the Lansdowne, had just such an interconnecting- cellars arrangement, there was a doorway, through, between each property. By the 1970s, when we moved in, they'd been bricked back up.

My parents' house on Mount Pleasant Road, just over the way from the Lansdowne, had just such an interconnecting- cellars arrangement, there was a doorway, through, between each property. By the 1970s, when we moved in, they'd been bricked back up.

That could explain why it hadn't registered with me, if it was already bricked up.

It's an interesting idea, I wonder just how widespread it was.

Ah the police box, and the rather portly policeman who patrolled the nearby streets in 1956 and thereabouts.

Re the co-op, wasn't there a passageway through it from one street to another?

That portly policeman at times used his cape as a goal post then we played footie in the bomb site off Hanover Street, but be careful if you did anything wrong he couldn't run but he could throw that baton, it used to get you between the ankles then he would pick you up by the ear and march you home. It surprises me to this day that my ears aren't bigger than they are:o:o:o

That could explain why it hadn't registered with me, if it was already bricked up.

It's an interesting idea, I wonder just how widespread it was.

I presume it was fairly widespread.

Our house was one of a terrace of nine, and the doorways in the cellars were interconnecting, so that, in an air raid, the occupiers could scramble through to the end property, which (I was told) was reinforced for extra protection.

They must have needed a lot of trust in the neighbours, to have had this means of access between the houses and to have faith that no one would be rummaging through your property. Ok, everyday folks, back then, would not have had the electricals and valuables, like TVs, hi fi, x-boxes and the like, to covet or steal, they would only have had their radio, but it would have to have been a big trust all the same.

I know my grandpa's terraced house in Attercliffe had an air raid shelter in the yard (I remember the area in the back yard which was never tarmacked back over, and the sandy-coloured clay soil stuff). I presume that it was a communal one, for all the four houses in the yard, with the corrugated metal roof. (an Anderson-type shelter)

I presume it was fairly widespread.

Our house was one of a terrace of nine, and the doorways in the cellars were interconnecting, so that, in an air raid, the occupiers could scramble through to the end property, which (I was told) was reinforced for extra protection.

They must have needed a lot of trust in the neighbours, to have had this means of access between the houses and to have faith that no one would be rummaging through your property. Ok, everyday folks, back then, would not have had the electricals and valuables, like TVs, hi fi, x-boxes and the like, to covet or steal, they would only have had their radio, but it would have to have been a big trust all the same.

I know my grandpa's terraced house in Attercliffe had an air raid shelter in the yard (I remember the area in the back yard which was never tarmacked back over, and the sandy-coloured clay soil stuff). I presume that it was a communal one, for all the four houses in the yard, with the corrugated metal roof. (an Anderson-type shelter)

I did a google and found a reference to the same thing in Liverpool. Thinking about trusting the neighbours, it was pretty widespread in those days, but there was one thing which a neighbour might covet - food. Imagine that little piece of meat, or a bit of tea or sugar had disappeared. How difficult it would be wondering just where it had gone!

Going to be in Sheffield this weekend. 10 day visit to se my family,first time back for a while. Will make a pilgrimage to Lansdowne Rd,sit on a wall and have a trip down memory lane.

LONG LIVE THE LANSDOWNERS.!!!!

Enjoy your 'trip'.

Sadly, there's not much now to recognise from the old days.

I have been challenged to start a thread for anyone who lived/lives in that area.

On another thread it seems to be that the 'Anyone from Grimesthorpe' thread has been allowed special privileges. I don't know if that is true, but I am hoping there might be some interest from ex or indeed present Lansdowners.

Anyone?

I didn't live there but that area was regularly my beat. I remember it during the early and mid 1960's with affection and respect for those who did live there. The only trouble was caused by others from elsewhere going to the Locarno or one particular local pub where I got more than a thick ear one Saturday night, whilst my 'colleague' locked himself in Landsdowne Police Box opposite the Locarno.

Valuable lesson that for a young bobby - 'Never trust another one'.

As soon as I saw your name I thought 'I hope this isn't the 'portly plod' I had mentioned'

Although I rather think the one I was thinking of was an older man.

Which was the pub you mentioned? My mum used to clean at one called something like the Tramline or Tramway, which was just up London Rd a little way.

It was called .The Tramways, I remember the last tram going by it in the pouring rain. Been back in Sheffield only 3 days and put on.3lbs. The city is looking good.

Thanks hillsbro. It looks rather smarter than it did back in the days when my mum worked there.

No reflection on my mum's cleaning! Everywhere looked a bit rundown and grubby after the war.

---------- Post added 08-09-2014 at 08:56 ----------

It was called .The Tramways, I remember the last tram going by it in the pouring rain. Been back in Sheffield only 3 days and put on.3lbs. The city is looking good.

Have you been back to Lansdowne yet? Very different now of course.