Pod camping with a dog?

In a few of weeks we will be camping for a week in a pod (bit like a carpeted shed)

When we booked we didnt have a dog and now most likely will - the site is fine with the dog coming with us but wont allow it in the pod

If we were camping he would sleep in the porch but here there is only a deck or the car

My instinct is to put a crate on the deck and tarp over to keep the weather off, the kids want to take a "pup" tent (and probably share it with him)

So how would folks cope with that?

Cancel and I'd rent a cottage instead :-) Lol

I would probably let the dog sleep in the car but I guess that depends on what car you have and how your dog would be but i would definitely favour that over the cage outside.

But I'd doubt mine would settle for that they would be want to be inside with us .

But if the kids want to sleep in the tent with the dog that would be fun and games :-)

Edited by rubydo1

If it was me in that situation I'd have my dog sleep in the car so long as it was close by. You'd obviously have to be up very early in case the weather is warm as the car will heat up quickly in the morning sun. We've had our dog sleep overnight in the car on a few unavoidable occasions and it's been no problem. She has a big proper bed in the boot and doesn't mind being in there at all.

If I had kids that were old/responsible enough sleeping in a pup tent with the dog would be fine too imo.

I definitely wouldn't leave my dog unsupervised outside in a relatively insecure location such as a crate though (apart from anything she'd probably scream the place down as she doesn't like being outside all that much other than for walks!)

Whatever you decide it might be a good idea to start getting the dog used to being in the car for longer periods or being in the pup tent in the garden before you go, if it's not already used to it.

Have a good trip!

we are going pod camping again this year with our dog but we choose ones where dogs are allowed indoors (uncarpeted). A pity you can't swap to one of those. Our dog would hate to be separated from us and would probably eat its way out of the car or a dog crate (a Velcro dobermann) If you really have to use the car, there is a device you can buy that locks the boot in an open position so that there is a n air flow, but as others have said, it doesn't take long for a car to turn into an oven in warm weather or direct sunshine.

How difficult would it be to sneak the dog in at night without being seen? If you could get away with that then i'd say do it.. If not then a pup tent sounds fun :)

I certainly wouldnt leave my dogs in crates outside and IMO leaving them in cars during the summer is irresponsible, even at night time it can still be very warm and i wouldnt risk it..