Bath your own dog service - would you use it?

Hi everyone.

We're looking to expand now I am coming back to work after my maternity leave a we've been offered a larger space.

I have been considering a bath your own dog service where we would have an area set up for people to use to bath their dog themselves. This would give them the opportunity to bath their dog with professional equipment in a space where they haven't got to clean up after themselves so no messing up your own bathroom at home, no traipsing muddy paws through your house after a dirty walk etc.

Since not many salons offer this service its hard to gauge how much interest there'd be so would many people find this a useful service? And also, how much would you be prepared to pay?

Thanks so much for reading :)

I think it's a really good idea. Lots of people don't like leaving their dogs with groomers but aren't able to bath them in their own home (If the dog is too heavy to lift into the bath for instance) This is the best of both worlds. The dog is able to have a proper bath but doesn't have to be separated from its owner.

It's not something I'd personally use (as you know, Roxy doesn't mind being left in your capable hands!) but I do think many would find it really useful. Price wise, I'd expect to pay around £15-£20.

Not something id use tbh thought of getting the dogs in the car and bathing them no id sooner let the dog groomer do the job,suppose it depends on your dog and you could call en route home after a muddy walk

Good luck ?

It is not a service that I would use either but I have a small breed that I can easily manage at home. I would imagine that you would need to clear it with your insurance company (public liability?) and do a risk assessment, especially with large breed dogs. I think that most people would just want someone else to do the job and to pay accordingly. Some people tend to prefer the easiest way with minimal effort. However, it is an interesting idea and if you get it off the ground, I hope it does well for you.

Not sure if there is a demand. What I do find is a lot of dog owners I know would like a pick up and drop off service for dog grooming as they don't drive . So I don't know if you do this already but it might be an option. Good luck with whatever direction you take .

Thank you for all the replies!

I wouldn't be the first groomer to offer this service but as far as I'm aware there's no one that offers it in this region.

We don't get many short haired dogs in. Of course, dogs that need coat care, styling, scissoring, stripping etc would still want to pay for a professional grooming service. But for the hundreds of staffies, boxers, labs etc that there are, we barely see any of them.

I haven't checked with my insurance provider yet so cant properly gauge the costs to me but I had about £10 in mind and maybe chucking nail cutting in not sure.

We don't offer pick up and drop off because we kind of offer a whole experience - you see the whole of our salon and us working on another dog, you can see your dog being groomed from outside and you can walk around the garden centre and have lunch etc. It works well for us and the nursery and I don't want to ruin that either by grooming more dogs a day, we keep footfall to a minimum but we are thinking of opening more days very soon.

Lots of food for thought for me thanks everyone :) and if anyone else has anything to add please do.

I think this is a fantastic idea, growing up with large breed dogs and large tin baths in the garden.

It's ideal for large dogs that are only used to owners bathing them. Less stressful for the dogs and owners.

Wish you all the success if you decide to offer this.

Quote rubydo1 #5: What I do find is a lot of dog owners I know would like a pick up and drop off service for dog grooming as they don't drive.

I agree with rubydo1, although I have nothing to back this up - just a feeling. I've taken one of mine to the groomers for the first appointment this morning. I'm getting on in years and it has been a bit of a struggle; it would have been much easier for me if the dog had been picked up and brought back. Would have been happy to pay for the service.

It would probably not be cost effective for you to offer pick up and drop off yourself because when you are out on the road you are not grooming. If you did, I would be tempted to book an appointment. As it is, you are a bit too far away, especially as I would need to come back when the dog is finished. I take your point about the experience thing but quite honestly, I wouldn't be bothered about that. As long as my dog was being groomed properly and looked after I would be happy. Wouldn't want to sit around in a garden centre waiting for the work to be completed - would rather be in the comfort of my own home. Have you considered employing a driver?

Perhaps the bathing service might work but I am rather sceptical because a lot of people these days just want as easy a life as possible.

Edited by ccit

I am not sure I would want to put my dog in the car, drive across Sheffield and pay £10 for the privilege of washing my own dog, especially if you have to wait around for 30+ mins to have your turn. Are you thinking of this being a walk-in service or book in advance?

It is an interesting idea though as it is always a struggle washing my boxer as we have cream carpets throughout the upstairs of the house and he really hates being bathed.

I'm not sure what the ideal solution/venture is but good luck with expanding your business.

For me to use a service such as this it would need to be really close to my house. If it's not close then it's just easier to throw a floating ball in the river and let her wash herself going to fetch it. A few towels in the back of the car and job done.

If I do have to bath her at home she's trained to not shake herself until I get her outdoors afterwards, but she likes the warm water from the shower and when I pick her pile of towels up she runs upstairs and sits down in the bath to wait for me.

I think it's a really good idea. Lots of people don't like leaving their dogs with groomers but aren't able to bath them in their own home (If the dog is too heavy to lift into the bath for instance) This is the best of both worlds. The dog is able to have a proper bath but doesn't have to be separated from its owner.

It's not something I'd personally use (as you know, Roxy doesn't mind being left in your capable hands!) but I do think many would find it really useful. Price wise, I'd expect to pay around £15-£20.

Really!!!! to bath your own dog!

I love the idea and wish you luck.. I would personally rather bath both my dogs myself and have the hassle of cleaning up afterwards than pay anywhere near £15-£20! I'd expect to pay that for someone else to do the work..

I think if you get the price right you could make it work :thumbsup:

There used to be a dog wash at the car wash near the crem. This was more like a small container / shower cubicle you put your dog in and showered them.

You would need to make sure people understood they had specific booking slots otherwise it could end up being double booked.

We bath our dogs outside in a bath sized tub AKA builders mixing tub for plaster. If they need a bath when the weather is cold we would prefer to let a groomer do it.

We find when feeding raw a dog smells much less 'doggy' so doesn't need a bath as often. We only usually bath if the dog smells too 'doggy' or when we need professional help keeping the coat in good condition with heavy moulting.

It might be a service useful for some owners with specific breeds of dog. I'm sure you will have a good idea which need more regular bathing and grooming.