I am a home owner i can not pay my mortgage how do i get a council house

hi i am needing some help i own my house but can not keep the paying the payments on it how do i get a council house can anyone help me please

you would probably be best going to a housing office, couldnt you rent private?

im not sure but i dont think its easy getting a council house if you're a normal decent person

good luck

You need to put your name down on the list, based upon the current waiting list in Sheffield, number of council properties and turnover you should be able to get one in 25 years. ~ 2037.

You could get one quicker elsewhere.

Could you not rent your house out to cover the mortgage payments and then rent a cheaper house for yourself privately that you can afford?

Other than the council you can also try the housing associations too.

Good luck with it all.

The problem with renting the house out is that the mortgage lenders have to agree to that happening if you don't already have their permission, and they could withhold that permission if they think that you're then at risk of defaulting on your payments.

Unfortunately if you find yourself unable to keep up your payments you then find that your options get reduced at every turn.

I'm sorry that this doesn't help you 2cutes. I'd take advice from the CAB as to what your options are now with regards to the house you have the mortgage on. They may be able to point you in the direction of the best way to go which is dependent on the amount owed relative to the value and equity held in the house.

If you're very lucky then the council homeless unit will decide that because you're unable to keep payments going on your house then you'll be worthy of their help, and if you're even more lucky you will find that the total amount owing on the house is less than the equity held in the house so that surrendering the house doesn't leave you with a huge bill to take forward into your new life.

Good luck.

Bingo, you can sell your house to a housing association and rent it back.

I am unsure of current HA's running this scheme, however many do.

Please contact them for help!

thank you all for your comments.

thank you all for your comments.

have you got kids ????

hi i am needing some help i own my house but can not keep the paying the payments on it how do i get a council house can anyone help me please

Ask Sheffield Homes would be my advice

You could try taking a lodger in.

You can get up to 4500 tax free

Mod Hat Off.

You may find that the council homeless section will consider that not paying the mortgage (even if you can't afford to do so) is making yourself intentionally homeless.

As others have said, get advice about your position ASAP from the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

you go back in time, assassinate maggie thatcher, prevent the sell off of one of the world's greatest public housing stocks and then join a queue which is not impossible to reach the end of.

good luck with your problem but you ain't getting a council house, there aren't any available -a tragedy - I grew up in fantastic one