Investment Wise - A house or Flat?

Hi, I would like people's opinions on whether it would be better to invest in a flat/apartment or a house. My budget is £125000 and would like to put this money into investing in property so any ideas would be greatly appreciated! After buying the property I would live in it for a year and then rent it out, so i'm looking for long term investment.

I'd go for a house - most flats will have service charges - something you don't get with a house.

Plus a house will usually tend to be larger and have a garden. Flats are a bit "flavour of the month" at the moment, but houses have proved their long term value time and time again.

house, without a doubt...nobody wants the flats so much when they're not all spangly and new, whereas houses can be done up again and again and again...

Got to agree. I think that the flats going up are a huge mistake. I personally give them 20 years.

Definitely a house, unless the flat option enables you to buy in a great location where you can't afford a house or where there aren't many houses for sale (if the area is the key thing for you/your tenants).

So many flats are going up that the prices are going to be pretty static I would think as the market will be saturated.

A few years ago I might have said flat.

Now prob a house, at least in Sheffield...

House - Sheffield is awash with flats and once they have lost the 'new look' and become tatty they will not be rising in price as much as houses.

Many investors choose off-plan property via agents because then you get a hefty discount on the price (around 20%) which means you already have equity as soon as you've bought. Although off-plan houses are available, on your budget you'd be looking at a flat.

Many investors choose off-plan property via agents because then you get a hefty discount on the price (around 20%) which means you already have equity as soon as you've bought. Although off-plan houses are available, on your budget you'd be looking at a flat.

i disagree. 125 may still allow her to buy a small house, although not in a great area.

house

there is an oversupply of city centre appartments in most cities around the country, and I think this is particularly true of Sheffield. The appartments are often very small, and whilst are local to the centre are useless if you have a car or dont work in the city