Sick of Speeding Motorists

Speed limits are merely a guide line. It is important that people drive safely, but as in all things, some are more competent than others and so can drive safely at higher speeds. So long as people know how fast they can drive safely , the speed limit is not so important.

There's another issue here (other than the danger of high speed), and that's predictability. If we (as a society) abide by the laws we've all agreed to, we know what to expect from one another on the road.

Edited by PandaJuggler

There's another issue here (other than the danger of high speed), and that's predictability. If we (as a society) mostly abide by the laws we've agreed to, we know what to expect from one another on the road.

Example - if I'm doing 70mph in the middle lane of the motorway and overtaking a truck, which decides to suddenly haul across into my lane without indicating, in theory I have another lane to escape into - unless one of your 'competent' drivers (usually in a BMW or Mercedes:rolleyes:) is working to their unagreed and unofficial speed limit of 80 or 90 in the right hand lane, leaving the brakes as my only option.

You could use public transport then.

All cars should be limited to 60, then I'll feel happy about my car and smug everytime some 'breast' comes up behind me in his merc, porsche, jag, christ even corsa :hihi: sitting on my rear bumper, whilst my engine warms up lol.

most accidents were death occurs is on a motor way were the car is doing more than 70 mph so reducing the speed of the car its self to 70-75 mph would reduce fatalities and remember the crash caused by prince naseem who was doing a lot more than 70 more like around the 100 mph mark so something has to be done regarding the speed of a car as there is no need for a car in the uk to do more than 70-75 mph so why build cars that can travel at stupid speeds !!

Where do you get the statistics for this?

Motorways are the safest roads for casualties calculated on the basis of vehicle miles travelled. Even when accidents occur on motorways there is no evidence that most occur when over the speed limit.

Naseem was on Ringinglow Road. Rapid acceleration was certainly a major factor in that crash! Country roads are by far the most dangerous.

Mixing high performance vehicles (that includes acceleration and braking as well as top speed) with slower vehicles, on non-motorways is hazardous. Such vehicles driven by drivers who may be either drunk, arrogant, impatient or unqualified makes them lethal. Some drivers may have all these traits!

My car would do 120+ on a clear German autobahn, where there'is no limit, and I'd feel quite safe. Remember many of us do drive abroad. I agree that I don't need that capacity when driving in Britain.The acceleration in town is excellent, used sensibly. Some drivers of higher performance cars (like the extreme example given) don't use them sensibly, but many fatalities are in smaller, lower powered cars - and bikers!

As bikers are over 20 times more likely to die on the roads than motorists, and less likely to obey speed limits, maybe they should be governed first, for their own sakes!!

However, we're all agreed the faster you go, if you do have an accident, the more likely you'll get hurt - and so may someone else! On Baslow Road or anywhere else.

Just curious, if the speeding innocents on here won the lottery, would you pay the speeders on here to drive for you lol.

most accidents were death occurs is on a motor way were the car is doing more than 70 mph so reducing the speed of the car its self to 70-75 mph would reduce fatalities and remember the crash caused by prince naseem who was doing a lot more than 70 more like around the 100 mph mark so something has to be done regarding the speed of a car as there is no need for a car in the uk to do more than 70-75 mph so why build cars that can travel at stupid speeds !!

Only 5 or 6% of road deaths happen on motorways, actually, so the general perception that motorways are dangerous is inaccurate. We just get to hear about every crash on m/w's (innocuous or not) since even a bent bumper causes a jam.

Edited by DT Ralge

No apologies to the OP for straying off the original specifics of the thread since we are getting to the root cause of the issue: the beliefs that underpin some drivers' attitude and approach to driving.

"Underspeed" causes issues, I accept, but "takes more concentration" to deal with it?

Are you confusing patience with concentration?

What qualifies as a numpty? Someone who is not sure where he's going? Whatever the reason behind the slow speed, get used to it and deal with it safely rather than in a disrepectful huff. You have no problems dealing with a milk float, I guess, since you understand its slow speed. The other "numpties" may have an equally valid reason for their slow speed but can't let you know the reason for it quite so obviously.

You cannot control what others do around you very easily but you can control how you respond to their driving whatever end of the speed spectrum they are at.

How do you deal with slow-walking shoppers on Fargate/in Meadowhall? Are they all numpties? And when you discover that they are related or known to your mate next to you? Do they stop being doddering numpties? Do you walk past them and give them a hand gesture? Probably not since, when on two feet, you are not surrounded by metal that allows a depersonalisation of your interaction with others.

wrong on all accounts! stop being a troll!

most accidents were death occurs is on a motor way were the car is doing more than 70 mph !

Where's your evidence?

Only 5 or 6% of road deaths happen on motorways, actually, so the general perception that motorways are dangerous is inaccurate. We just get to hear about every crash on m/w's (innocuous or not) since even a bent bumper causes a jam.

Although true, motorways are actually considered the safest UK roads. However the poster didn't say they weren't, he said there is a higher number of fatalatites on motorways, which although I don't have any evidence to present to the court of Sheffield forum, I can quite believe.

Some stats here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15608217

Of all the crashes I've seen on the motorways they come about from people driving too close. You could argue that they are driving too fast, but it would be too fast for the conditions.

wrong on all accounts! stop being a troll!

Wrong ?

How can I be wrong in asking questions?

How can I be a troll in asking a poster to reflect on what they have written?

Although true, motorways are actually considered the safest UK roads. However the poster didn't say they weren't, he said there is a higher number of fatalatites on motorways, which although I don't have any evidence to present to the court of Sheffield forum, I can quite believe.

Something not being understood here - of the 2222 road deaths in 2009 and of the 1850 in 2010 5 or 6 percent of them (roughly 100) happened on motorways.

Your "higher number of fatalities on motorways" doesn't stack up, since 1900-2000 happened elsewheree, mostly on country A-roads.

If you or the previous poster are thinking "higher fatality rate per crash" or "more likely to die on a m/w" because of the higher speeds, that is simply not true since many crashes on m/w's are memorable events but eminently survivable as relatively low speed impacts (all mostly travelling in the same direction) that are catered for by crumple zones, seatbelts, head restraints and airbags. The cars are a mess, you won't forget the 10-15mph impact and the aftermath in a hurry but you live to tell the tale (fingers and everything else crossed).

What car occupants on m/w's struggle to survive is contact with trucks.