Advice on a leak/blockage at the back of bathroom basin

The bathroom washbasin's been slowing down and even gurgling for a few days. Last night it started pouring the water coming from the running tap straight out again from the plumbing gubbins at the back. It has what I believe is called a bottle trap, and there is a plastic thing jutting out above it that looks just like the white plastic lid you'd find on a small tub of vitamin pills. The water streams down from that lid thing, though I can't see well enough to know if it's supposed to act as an overflow for a blocked bottle trap/pipe, or whether it has sprung an unintended leak. My knowledge of plumbing gubbins is approximately zero.

Anyhow, usually with a blockage I'd be at it with the plunger or drain unblocker, but I'm loathe to do that if it means gunk spurting out or possibly making a leak worse by forcing pressure with the plunger. Even if it's a simple question of cleaning out the bottle trap, I've never done that before and it's one of those jobs that would make me wretch very badly.

So should I leave it until Monday and a girly-weed call to Keir, or is a go with the plunger a feasible option to attempt first? I tried googling for an image of a bottle trap arrangement that had the vitamin tub lid thing jutting out, but I can't find one.

Thanks for any advice. :love:

It sounds like you have an anti vac trap fitted the anti vac bit being the pill box lid. I would just give the housing a ring they will clear the blockage or change the trap one or the other a very small job. (if you google anti vac basin traps something should come up just to check if we are on the same wave length)

Kind Regards Paul

yeh as suggested, take it off, clean and reseat the seal and screw it back, taking care not to cross thread or over tighten it.

Yes, Paul, that's the thing I mean, with the appendage at the left above the pipe. I couldn't figure out what it was meant to be doing. I'm not bothered about doing odd five minute jobs when I know what I'm doing, but this seems on the cusp of 'might just **** it up' so I'll ring Keir and leave it to them. I've got the kitchen sink and the bath to use so it's no big inconvenience. Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

This thread was posted in August 2010. I suspect the job may be sorted now!!

Lol Dan love it I hope it has been done or the op might need a plasterer now for a new kitchen ceiling! :hihi: