Sign in to follow this  

Town outside of Sheffield???

Hi,

I am relocating up to Sheffield very soon due to my husband getting a job there but we do not want to live right in the centre of Sheffield, we prefer a smaller town/village.

We have looked at Dronfield, Chesterfield (althought this is big), Ducmanton, Bolover & Clowne. Can anyone give any insight into these areas. Many agents I spek to are quite negative about Bolsover, whats wrong with it??

I have also been reading about the commute into Sheffield on the A61 being difficult so we may seek to look a bit north of these, any suggestions?

Also if anyone has a 2/3 bed property with/without garage available for let please let me know.

Thanks

Belinda

Out of those you mention Dronfield is the best, its right on the edge of Sheffield, not too bad for commuting in to town probably 30mins in rush hour, 15 mins otherwise.

The house prices are still quite reasonable and it does have a good community, shops pubs etc. The down side is that it is a big area of housing that was mainly built in the 70's. So not a lot of character to the housing. Also if you have family it has good schools.

Bolsover is old mining communities and pretty run down, and there used to be a chemical works at Staveley which has had controversy in the past.

Originally posted by "mikey"

Out of those you mention Dronfield is the best, its right on the edge of Sheffield, not too bad for commuting in to town probably 30mins in rush hour, 15 mins otherwise.

Try 30 mins otherwise and 45mins - 1 hour in Rush hour traffic. :wink:

I'm afraid the A61 (Chesterfield to Sheffield) is a nightmare into town in the morning, a nightmare back in the evening, and really really congested at Woodseats most of the rest of the time anyway. :?

Apart from that, I don't know much about the other places you mentioned.

Good luck :D

Laura

Try the North West of the city, The tram is almost traffic free and it has many areas of greenbelt all around.

Worksop is very nice, has some nice areas on it's outskirts and is well connected to Sheffield by the A57. Barlborough is also a nice area, as is Clowne or Kiveton.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Will be looking at Clowne and Kiveton but wondered if anyone has any comments on Dinnington & North Anston.

Looking at these areas to buy in the nearish future.

Thanks

Belinda

Originally posted by MissyB

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Will be looking at Clowne and Kiveton but wondered if anyone has any comments on Dinnington & North Anston.

Looking at these areas to buy in the nearish future.

Thanks

Belinda

Dinnington very dodgy but not bad in North Anston As long as you are away from the A57 traffic noise

Bolsover is a dump,plain facts,Clown the same, Dinnington not to bad just depends where,try Beighton,crystal peaks area,right on top of the tram system into sheffield and not bad shopping, just far enough out of sheffield . Lots of private homes for sale etc

Originally posted by mikey

The house prices are still quite reasonable and it does have a good community, shops pubs etc. The down side is that it is a big area of housing that was mainly built in the 70's. So not a lot of character to the housing. Also if you have family it has good schools.

Bolsover is old mining communities and pretty run down, and there used to be a chemical works at Staveley which has had controversy in the past.

Takes me 30 mins just to get up Ecclesall Rd in rush hour and London/Abbeydale Rd isn't much/if any better if you're going your way to Dore. Whats your secret?

Thought about Mosborough / Ridgeway?

Decent housing up there, and not too far from road links etc.

How about Hathersage, Bamford, Castleton, or Hope?