Frecheville shops of days gone by.

Does anyone remember what used to be there?

The earliest i remember was........can you remember too?:)

Bradleys Chip Shop

Halls Post Office

Jamiesons Chemist

Hawnts Shoe Shop

all in that order.

Then these but cant remember what order further on the

line of shops.

A fruit shop combined wet fish shop.

Butlers Newsagents.

Weatheralls Bread Shop/Bakery.

Alans hairdressers.

Butchers.

Fine Fare.

another one i cant remember then right at the end Dels Supermarket!

Edited by blade61

Hi yes I remember them well. Coop has always been were it is now, and I remember the manager was called Mr Twig, but there was a laurnderette as well somewhere. There was the beer off just in the door of the Birley pub as well, where you could buy sweets.

Mum went the shops on a daily basis and it took us about an hour to walk up the shops because Mum stopped and talked to everyone, as everyone knew everyone! One very bored 5 year old on wet and blustry days.

Yes the launderette was at the side of the co-op at the side of the birley hotel . I remember Mr Twig too!!

also the little beer-off just inside the pub where it seemed really dark and you felt like you shouldnt really be in there!! My school friend parents ran the pub at that time. The Hardcastles, don and shirley

Just remembered there was a Barclays Bank at the side of the Co-op too wasnt there?

all sounds familar, my mum knew everyone too. there was the lady who had the wool shop with the big blonde hair, i thought she was a film star :hihi:

so many have come and gone, the video shop is now a chippy, the bike shop was there too later on.

i remember the laundrette and barckleys band it had a funny smell.

summer day trips with Spa club now the sherwood.

Alans hairdresses my sister worked there for years. Liptons lol oh the old days :D

Not forgetting the doctors surgery, (Dr. Murray)

my mum remembers armstrongs hardware shop ,shentalls ,slivana's the boutique she used to work at butlers the newsagent.

all sounds familar, my mum knew everyone too. there was the lady who had the wool shop with the big blonde hair, i thought she was a film star :hihi:

YES that was jean .........from jeans wool shop!! iwas at school with her daughter

my mum remembers armstrongs hardware shop ,shentalls ,slivana's the boutique she used to work at butlers the newsagent.

I was at school with the daughter who owned the ladies clothes shop sylvana's

CAN ANY ONE REMEMBER FRED HARTLEY MADE AN APPEARANCE TOO FOR A WHILE SITUATED WHERE DELS USED TO BE!

Not forgetting the doctors surgery, (Dr. Murray)

where was this surgery? across the road where Dr lambie was too?

fred hartleys car spare shop was at the end of the shops at one time.bartons the carpet shop has been there as long as i remember!!!post office was next to chinese chippy.portons fruit and veg shop.did fine fayre become liptons??

Wrong end of town for me, blade61, but your memory isn't bad!.;).Here's a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory showing the shops.

do you remember in the wol shop they sold shoes as well, I loved the smell when you walked in there. the big wooden units with lots of little doors in where they had everything. Wish you could still go in shops like that.

And one of the ladies in the bread shop had loads of blusher on, I was always mesmerised by her