Setting Up Pay By Phone Or Email Link Payments

Hi

I've been having a run of bad luck of late with customers not turning up for their sessions (I run a counselling business). I am looking into taking a deposit over the phone when someone makes a booking to reduce the possibilities of no shows. I'm looking for recommendations for the best and cheapest way to do this. I have tried taking deposit by BACS but have found that people often don't pay and it would be better to complete the transaction whilst they are still on the phone.

I currently use SumUp for my face to face payments and am very happy with this but SumUp don't allow Customer Not Present Transactions. I am not looking at a high number of transactions by phone (maybe just 5 a week) so higher priced companies aren't financially worthwhile for me. Izettle allow you to key in the customers card details but the customer has to be present. The other option is that I could look into sending a payment link in an email. Again, any recommendations would be really appreciated. WorldPay Zinc was looking good but apparently they are phasing out and not taking new customers.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks

PayPal card machine, combined with an app (the machine looks a bit like an izettle). No monthly fee, not awful commission and you can do customer not present stuff.

That said, I'd investigate whether you can get an izettle app so you can take payment over the phone - there might already be one.

Thanks Tinfoilhat

I've checked with izettle but they don't allow payer not present at the moment. I think as a stop gap I am going to go with PayPal for now so looking to set that up as there are no upfront or monthly fees so nothing to lose. I am also looking at PaymentSense which looks ok. The trouble is most of these systems are set up for people who are making large numbers of transactions over the phone - which just isn't the case for me. Thanks for your advice :-)

Thanks Tinfoilhat

I've checked with izettle but they don't allow payer not present at the moment. I think as a stop gap I am going to go with PayPal for now so looking to set that up as there are no upfront or monthly fees so nothing to lose. I am also looking at PaymentSense which looks ok. The trouble is most of these systems are set up for people who are making large numbers of transactions over the phone - which just isn't the case for me. Thanks for your advice :-)

I might do one a month on my PayPal machine /PayPal here app. It's been handy.

I have a PayPal business plan. So you might want to upgrade from a personal PayPal account, they have lots of ways to deal with payments such as a PayPal logo you can assign to your email/website, make/request payments via mobile or email... Also invoices can be created and lots more. Hope this helps

A couple of things.

2checkout ? .com? used to do a emailable clickable link thingy - No minimum quantity - for a commission obviously.

Plus why don't you ask for TWO sessions up front - one for the initial meet and one for NEXT week. This would put off time wasters and be good for cashflow to boot.

If you look over on the five-a-side football threads, this is quite common - presumably to cover pitch hire.

I find PayPal very useful for online payments. U can send a link and customer can click on it and pay.

Edited by CarlJo
adding more detailed info

Thank you all for the replies. I ended up going with Paypal Business. I'm using that for advance payment for first time bookings and sticking with SumUp for face to face payments. PayPal is a bigger commission but i reckon it's worth it to stop people not turning up and not paying. Interesting that when I've mentioned advance payment, some people decide to "call back later" and never do. But, it has, so far, stopped people just not turning up and so saved me money.

Thanks again