Tree devastation in Sheffield

Is there anything anyone can do to stop the tree murdering which is happening throughout Sheffield? They are now killing beautifu trees in Nether Edge it is so depressing and to be honest taking big absolutely awesome trees at nesting time and replacing them with twigs is horrendous, I'm so upset about this and worried where they will strike next

Is there anything anyone can do to stop the tree murdering which is happening throughout Sheffield? They are now killing beautifu trees in Nether Edge it is so depressing and to be honest taking big absolutely awesome trees at nesting time and replacing them with twigs is horrendous, I'm so upset about this and worried where they will strike next

Calm down dear, in a city of millions of trees, there's plenty to go round!

Who is taking trees and replacing them with twigs?

It's actually illegal to remove a tree if there are nesting birds in it. A tree surgeon came unexpectedly to work on the trees at the bottom of our garden, over the boundary and belonging to the house at the other side.

I told him there were nesting birds in it (true) and he said informed the property owner that was not allowed to continue until the birds had left. It gave us time to discuss the work with the neighbours and come up with something we both agreed on.

Calm down dear, in a city of millions of trees, there's plenty to go round!

yes but they re really changing the neighbourhoods which were once very leafy and beautiful , they are killing healthy trees , which give us good air and take in our carbon monoxide, they are doing this all over sheffield which is very sad and what a waste of resources !!

Probably council getting their knickers in a twist about being sued for damage caused by underlying roots.

A lot of big trees were planted years ago without the foresight and knowledge of what they would become.

I still don't like it though, and only a mindless cretin does tree work at this time of the year.

Edited by taxman

Guest makapaka

I know amey are removing trees but only where there is disease in the tree or where it's causing potential damage to roads etc. in each case they are replaced by a new sapling so there is no net loss in tree numbers.

I know amey are removing trees but only where there is disease in the tree or where it's causing potential damage to roads etc. in each case they are replaced by a new sapling so there is no net loss in tree numbers.

These trees are disease free on grange crescent . Yes the roots were a problem but there are nesting birds there and they may changes in air pollution because of the loss of these old trees will be felt for a long time , I guess Sheffield council enjoy destroying nature and the environment .

Have you had a letter from Amey about the work? And there are notices on the trees.

There are contact details on there.

And see this advice from the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/b/wildlife/archive/2014/05/01/getting-the-wrong-end-of-the-stick-about-hedges-and-trees.aspx

Granma.

To be honest the trees they are taking are stunningly beautiful, to replace a large majestic tree with a scrawny little sapling is a crime

some people need to get out more !!

Edited by spooferman

Yes there is something you can do Shirley - COMPLAIN!! :rant:. You can write to David Wain, Technical Officer - Environmental Maintenance 5th Floor (South), Howden House, Sheffield, S1 2SH. I and others across Sheffield are start to organise on this topic - Native Lad has been a great help also.

Don't lose heart sister. There are a great many of us sharing this pain :cry:

PM me and I'll fill you in on what there is and where, and give more pointers :)

There is also a meeting of all tree people next Friday and Saturday at St Mary's church.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1386901

Hope to meet you there!

---------- Post added 13-05-2015 at 23:40 ----------

To be honest the trees they are taking are stunningly beautiful, to replace a large majestic tree with a scrawny little sapling is a crime

I so totally agree with you Shirley. We really need to meet up :). Will PM you my mob xx