The Writers' Group introduction thread.

Hello.

Welcome to the Sheffield Forum Writers' Group.

Use this thread to introduce yourself to the other members and tell everyone a little bit about yourself.

Edited by Mantaspook
Removed obsolete membership list.

I have always loved reading, and writing to an extent though its started with basic things in English class at school!

I can get totally lost in almost any well-written book. I particularly like John Grisham, have read almost all of his, and a lot of other crime-type novels. More recently I have been reading Cecelia Aherne... pretty much 'chick-lit' but nicely done :) I am a complete Lord of the Rings addict, could read it forever, and am working my way through Harry Potter for the 10th time.

I also read a lot of 'fan-fic' on the net, from all sorts of fandoms like LOTR, to Buffy (I am a sci-fi nerd I think!), and have had the odd go at writing fan-fic before but never put it anywhere for public reading.

I am definately more of a fiction than a non-fiction fan, though I love good biographies, particularly funny ones, like Billy Connelly's and Graham Norton's!

I remember the first time my mum took me to the library when I was 3/4 ish and the first book I read - about dolls trapped in the attic or something.

By age 6 I could read encyclopaedias and was well ahead of everyone else in my class.

Since then I have avidly read and collected. Read a lot of politics books at Uni but I prefer fiction.

Have the entire Disc World series and the complete works of Iain / M / Banks.

Also enjoy detective novels, classic ones such as Ngaio Marsh.

Just finished My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk and before that Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

I regularly take 5-6 books with me on holiday and leave them in hostels, hotels etc when finished.

I used to write really good stories at school but I suspect any of my offerings on here will be in the form of travelogs

Almost a complete novice at writing, I have always been a bit anxious about showing other people what I've done. I have almost forced myself to join this group so that I can hopefully get over this fear with help of supportive criticism.

I enjoy most styles of novels..

Ian McEwan

Haruki Murashami (almost certainly spelled wrongly)

Philip Pullman

Bram Stoker

Barbara Kingsolver

Anne Tyler

etc.

Have done a couple of poems but nothing more than that.

Cheers

I've always loved reading, the first book I must have read was Bears In The Night by Stan and Jan Berstein, which I still have a copy of.

I enjoyed writing stories at school

My favourite books are horror and murder mystery

I have written several fan fiction stories which do tend to be rather long but I am quite sure I can get into the habit of writing shorter tales

I am currently reading Entombed by Linda Farnstein which is a murder mystery story encompassing Edgar Allen Poe

I was the only 5 year old to be allowed to use the adult section of The Library, I wasnt allowed to read smutty stuff, but by the age of 6 I was reading Edgar Allen Poe and H.G. Wells.

I then progressed to Asimov, Clarke and by the age of 8 I had lost the ability to discriminate. Basically I read whatever I could get my hands on.

At the moment I`m Re-reading The Diskworld sieries, but slowly, very slowly because basically I`m losing my sight and expect to be blind sometime in the next decade or so.

The stuff I write, are basically memories of things that I did in the past, I have several already written and saved to the computer, which is lucky because I`m not really allowed to spend too much time using my eyes.

All I have to do is edit a lot of swearing out of my stuff, and once I do that, I`m ready to go.

I'm Rich aged 30 from Stannington, I enjoy reading sci-fi books although I don't read these days as much as i used to.

My contributions to this group will be mainly in the sci-fi genre of writing probably, as I used to regularly write my own Star Trek themed stories in Word with me as a Starship Captain and crew based on friends I know and stuff.

I like reading biographies and some fiction stories. Most of the time i'm not reading a book i'm reading a magazine or the newspaper. I have written a few short stories which have been ok

Hi im not gonna bore you with an essay i love going out with friends quiz night uv got 2 live for quiz nite im gonna win lottery 1 day unless its a fix then maybe not does anyone actually come on this site in the day cuz nooones in the live chat room i dont get it ????? help me out im new 2 this x

I'm Joey, I'm 27 and I'm an RE Teacher (and not an alcoholic!)...I don't read as much as I used to but I was a proper bookworm in my younger days. I like reading books that my friends recommend to me (usually about lurve and romance and that have pink covers) but I also enjoy the more intelligent works recommended by Richard and Judy (recent favourites have been The Time Travellers Wife and The Lovely Bones).

I'm a sucker for anything with a vaguely religious theme (but reject anything by Dan Brown) and adored the Philip Pullman Dark Materials trilogy - also enjoy the odd Harry Potter. As a teenager and an adult I guess I really enjoy/ed books by Christopher Pike - my favourite book "Sati" is written by him.

I wrote my first novel when I was 19 and am still re-writing it now - am determined to at least try and get it published. Think I've got a couple more in me but will post some of my short stories to hopefully get some help from new found "critical friends".

Shoeshine: Can we make a little rule about stories being written in proper english please? I can't bring myself to read anything in text speak and I might miss something good...:)

From the age of about eight I fell in love with reading books, and the pleasure has stayed with me for many years.

Christmas used to be a time in my childhood when the present of a new book was as important to me as a toy. I loved the feel of a brand new book, the excitement of opening the pristine pages and the anticipation of enjoying the story within it.

I recall reading Mark Twain's "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "Tom Sawyer", Baroness Orczy's "The Scarlet Pimpernel", Robert Louis Stevenson's " Treasure Island" and "Kidnapped", Anna Sewell's "Black Beauty" and lots of others as I progressed into my teenage years.

During my adult years I have always been a member of a Public Library. I visit my local library every month or so. To me they really are "treasure houses". I have never read much of Dicken's work.......even now they seem too "hard going". Fortunately some of the Classic Fiction has been transformed into TV series, so someone else has waded through them and done the really hard work

Of late I have read most if not all of the Tom Sharpe novels, and the entire output of Terry Pratchett "Disc World" Series........brilliantly funny authors.

My favourite genres? I particularly like Sci-Fi, Mystery, Horror and Non-Fiction books on virtually any subject.

Finally, a few weeks ago I revisited my childhood by re-reading "Tom Sawyer" and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". The novels stand alone as general stories for children's reading, but I realise now, at my age, there is an underlying depiction of the hardship and bondage to slavery that was the norm throughout the southern States contained within the boyish adventure stories written by Mark Twain (aka Samuel Clements). Whilst I loved the books as a child, I saw them in a new light as an adult.

The first 'grown up' book I read was 'The War of the Worlds' and I think that that started colouring my reading from there on in. I was (and still am) a great lover of Ray Bradbury and Arthur C Clarke, and quite a few of my short stories are influenced by both those people.

I've written short stories, scripts, the odd comedy sketch and sooner or later will start on a novel. :)

The main problem nowadays is finding time to fit it all in.

Just been reading Stephen King's 'On Writing' (again!!) - well worth it to start inspiring the urge to write!