Sheaf pub on Fraser Road, Millhouses

Another bit of good news thats landed in my inbox...

Sheffield real ale lover Anthony Brearey has purchased "The Sheaf", Fraser Road, Millhouses and is overseeing a comprehensive refurbishment of the pub. It will reopen in early August as "The Ale House" and is an entirely free of tie addition to the real ale circuit. "Real" food and live bands will also be on the menu!

To get there - you can either walk down the hill from Woodseats near the Big Tree or alternatively its just off Archer Road in Millhouses (near Sainsburys). Closest bus route is the Stagecoach 87.

Sounds good, apart from the live bands. Will give it a try when it has been open 6 months or so.

beegee - if everyone had that attitude - it wouldn't be open that long in the first place.

Maybe Tess, but I always like to wait before trying new venues. When the shine wears off and the staff are not out to impress as much. My nearest pub is the greystones, refurbed last november and I waited until feb/march before trying. I think it gives you a better picture of the place. I haven't been back since as I was totally unimpressed, but it seems to be very popular and good luck to them. If the sheaf folds before I try it then it will be because it isn't viable and my few quid won't make or break it. Look back at posts about the lescar and the bradway, people post on here about them in the first few weeks - then nothing. The posts are often speculative and I can't read much into them. The lescar is still going and the bradway is closed. Location, style and the products on sale are the keys to viability for pubs, not posts on here. The Sheaf always disappointed me - it's not really on my radar - but often a transient pub en-route elsewhere. I think it's great that someone wants to try a new approach because it would open up new possibilities for me and GOOD LUCK to them. Maybe I'll like it or maybe I won't but I will try it and see. If you try it first post your opinion and I'll be glad to read it, particularly what beer is behind the bar, if it's well kept and the price.

Yep I completely agree, I do hope it does well - i'm not really familliar with many family friendly pubs in that area but I think it could definately go for a new one.

Apologies for sounding so grumpy in my previous post - I didn't realise how grumpy it sounded until I read it back!

Who is Anthony Brearey?

If it's worth mentioning his name does this mean that he has a good track record of running pubs?

You didn't need to apologise Tess. I do hope however that the sheaf doesn't become family friendly. There's nothing wrong with family friendly - but it's not for me. I am always fascinated by the way different people have opinions on what makes a good pub. Some mention food, entertainment etc. For me a pub is all about well-kept quality real ales, served in an oversize glass and at a reasonable price. The decor should be clean but is unimportant, (in terms of its character) for me, as is food and entertainment. TV is a no-no. Too many pubs in my opinion, have kids running about in them. I think pubs should really be adult only and I want to drink in peace. Chain pubs have tended to make all their pubs the same. We need more diversity in our pubs, with my quiet drinking holes mingled among family pubs, mingled among eating pubs, mingled among live music pubs etc. Quiet would be perfect for the sheaf, because competition is on the doorstep. With a wetherspoons, laycock's club, cheap beer selling supermarkets, two pubs selling cheap food and the rather excellent brew stop nearby, I imagine price will be pretty important for the sheaf. Like I said, even if it isn't my cup of tea, I hope it does well as it will add to the diversity of pubs and will be better than another boarded up pub - like the millhouses just round the corner from the sheaf. Happy drinking!

10 days after, I learn about this new Public House, on the Rotherham CAMRA website. :hihi: It does sound good, but why oh why, do they have to change the name.

Usually because the existing name has a bad reputation.

Apparantly due to open in about 2 weeks time.

You didn't need to apologise Tess. I do hope however that the sheaf doesn't become family friendly. There's nothing wrong with family friendly - but it's not for me. I am always fascinated by the way different people have opinions on what makes a good pub. Some mention food, entertainment etc. For me a pub is all about well-kept quality real ales, served in an oversize glass and at a reasonable price. The decor should be clean but is unimportant, (in terms of its character) for me, as is food and entertainment. TV is a no-no. Too many pubs in my opinion, have kids running about in them. I think pubs should really be adult only and I want to drink in peace. Chain pubs have tended to make all their pubs the same. We need more diversity in our pubs, with my quiet drinking holes mingled among family pubs, mingled among eating pubs, mingled among live music pubs etc. Quiet would be perfect for the sheaf, because competition is on the doorstep. With a wetherspoons, laycock's club, cheap beer selling supermarkets, two pubs selling cheap food and the rather excellent brew stop nearby, I imagine price will be pretty important for the sheaf. Like I said, even if it isn't my cup of tea, I hope it does well as it will add to the diversity of pubs and will be better than another boarded up pub - like the millhouses just round the corner from the sheaf. Happy drinking!

From my experience of the sheaf it had a hardcore of about a dozen regular customers but would liven up somewhat at weekends due to the managements tendency for a bit of after hours which was renowned in the area!

If this place is going to be reliant on local patrons then i'm afraid it will not last long!

From my experience of the sheaf it had a hardcore of about a dozen regular customers but would liven up somewhat at weekends due to the managements tendency for a bit of after hours which was renowned in the area!

If this place is going to be reliant on local patrons then i'm afraid it will not last long!

I agree that it won't survive by having local patrons only. If the real ale is good though adults will use it. This has certainly happened at the greystones, which has just put on real ales and is attracting lots of custom. If it does the family friendly route it will just be like the wagon and horses. Not sure there are enough of those customers for it too last long either, and certainly lots of kids running about will put off this prospective client.

10 days after, I learn about this new Public House, on the Rotherham CAMRA website. :hihi: It does sound good, but why oh why, do they have to change the name.

Possibly to avoid any confusion with The Sheaf View real ale pub in Heeley?