Are you bothered about losing your right to live/work in Europe?

Well Brexit means Brexit and I for one am very saddened that the right to live and work in Europe is being taken away from my family and myself.

Yes we can re-negotiate individual deals with other countries but that will take time and who knows what restrictions will be imposed upon us.

My youngest lad is learning Spanish at school, I have to ask what is the point of this now if the right to move/work there is removed.

Is anyone genuinely happy that Britain “could” become effectively a Prison for all of its people, with all of us being compelled to live on here forever unless the deal negotiated lets us move elsewhere? It saddens me that we can do this to people, but clearly others are happy for this to happen.

Well Brexit means Brexit and I for one am very saddened that the right to live and work in Europe is being taken away from my family and myself.

Yes we can re-negotiate individual deals with other countries but that will take time and who knows what restrictions will be imposed upon us.

My youngest lad is learning Spanish at school, I have to ask what is the point of this now if the right to move/work there is removed.

Is anyone genuinely happy that Britain “could” become effectively a Prison for all of its people, with all of us being compelled to live on here forever unless the deal negotiated lets us move elsewhere? It saddens me that we can do this to people, but clearly others are happy for this to happen.

People move all over the world. You just have to apply for a permit. Pull yourself together.

people lived and worked in Europe before the eu, im sure they will again after brexit.

People move all over the world. You just have to apply for a permit. Pull yourself together.

So it won't be possible for them to say "no" after we've denied their people the same right to come over here?

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 12:29 ----------

people lived and worked in Europe before the eu, im sure they will again after brexit.

we won't have that right unless we negotiate deals with individual contries

So it won't be possible for them to say "no" after we've denied their people the same right to come over here?

What do you want to do in spain? Holiday? Job?

What do you want to do in spain? Holiday? Job?

Currently any option is available, I've considered living there when I retire and my children working.

Post Brexit could mean neither option is available

They'll have to apply for permits to work here, we'll have to apply to work there.

That's all. Just like if you wanted to work in Canada, Australia, the USA, or dozens of other places.

Nobody is building a wall around the UK.

I am surrounded on a daily basis by staff and students from within and without the EEA working and studying here in their hundreds. In the future the EEA folks will have to complete the same paperwork and meet the same requirements as the non-EEA ones. That's all.

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 12:32 ----------

Currently any option is available, I've considered living there when I retire and my children working.

If you plan on supporting yourself completely then I doubt you'll have a problem.

Edited by unbeliever

Why? People retire all over the world as it is. Given the state of spains economy I'm sure they'll welcome you (and your money). If spain wont let you in for what ever reason, thats on spain.

They'll have to apply for permits to work here, we'll have to apply to work there.

That's all. Just like if you wanted to work in Canada, Australia, the USA, or dozens of other places.

Nobody is building a wall around the UK.

I am surrounded on a daily basis by staff and students from within and without the EEA working and studying here in their hundreds. In the future the EEA folks will have to complete the same paperwork and meet the same requirements as the non-EEA ones. That's all.

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 12:32 ----------

If you plan on supporting yourself completely then I doubt you'll have a problem.

I haven't seen anywhere which indicates a reciprocal agreement will exist for those who can support themselves coming here and I doubt that this could be policed effectively.

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 12:39 ----------

Why? People retire all over the world as it is. Given the state of spains economy I'm sure they'll welcome you (and your money). If spain wont let you in for what ever reason, thats on spain.

So in answer to the original question if they won't let us in would you be disappointed as I know I would be.

I haven't seen anywhere which indicates a reciprocal agreement will exist for those who can support themselves coming here and I doubt that this could be policed effectively.

It's done for every non-EEA country in the whole world. It's not only possible, it's routine.

The difference after we leave is that the government will be able to set criteria that prospective entrants must meet.

Given our longstanding relationship with the EEA nations, these criteria will probably be minimal.

With the utmost of respect, wrong mindset.

Spanish is the national language and spoken in many further places across the globe, than Spain alone.

Foreign language skills are never wasted.

Think about e.g. import-export jobs in the UK, liaising daily with Spanish-speaking customers and/or suppliers.

Don't get me wrong, I am bothered about losing my automatic right to live and work (plus associated fringe benefits, real and anticipated, too numerous to list) in the UK. At the very least, more admin faffing with jobsworths to look forward to...if I end up staying here long enough.

But then, I can speak, read and write, and practice law and work at boardroom level, in any of English, French and German (fully bilingual English/French, and better than working proficiency in German), so if worst push came to worst shove...I'm not short of options: another advantage of gaining and cultivating foreign language skills ;)

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 12:39 ----------

So in answer to the original question if they won't let us in would you be disappointed as I know I would be.

Ill go somewhere we'll they'll let me (and my money) in. if spain dont want you (and your money) go somewhere else. Mexico?