West Street Ale House

I notice yet another Ale House has opened its doors.

Anyone been yet who can recommend the place or otherwise?

Is this in the old Takapuna/various other names unit?

Is this in the old Takapuna/various other names unit?

Looks like it, down the far end nearly opposite the centre for full employment, or whatever it's called nowadays

Is this a real ale pub or just a another boozer

It's an "Ale House"

So neither an old fashioned boozer or a trad real ale pub....I suspect it may be a little bit hipsterish with bartenders who have ear plugs and beards and say "Enjoy" when they give you your beer.

I may be wrong though...hence the appeal for first hand information.

It is what it is and in early stages of its development from what I'm told. Try it and see what you think.

Big room, painted in pale colours with comfy seats and tables and a bar. about 6 real ales on plus some craft kegs and a bottled selection.

Kitchen due to be installed in the near future from when food will be introduced. The next phase will then be refurbishing the currently closed upstairs room which will become a live music venue.

Been in there a couple of times now and think it's OK, better than any of the previous incarnations all the way back to Takapuna I think. Feels a bit "bare" at the mo but that's something they say is being sorted out. Nice to have an outlet for proper beer on West Street.

It's an "Ale House"

So neither an old fashioned boozer or a trad real ale pub....I suspect it may be a little bit hipsterish with bartenders who have ear plugs and beards and say "Enjoy" when they give you your beer.

I may be wrong though...hence the appeal for first hand information.

Ok cheers I will check it out.

Last week it just had Kelham and Adnams on cask. Not been in myself yet though.

Yeah, went in last week. They probably shouldn't have opened yet, smelt strongly of paint and still need massive renovation of the toilets and corridors. Upstairs was still being ripped out too. A bit soulless at the moment, especially at the front of the pub where there was just a big table with no chairs! Towards the back there are comfy sofas but something just didn't gel right. I'd give it a couple of weeks and see if they've improved some of the décor and feel.

Bar staff were insanely hipster with massive beards and trouser suspenders...did have more than 1 alco free beer though which is a massive thumbs up from me at the moment...

The wife and I went in on Saturday and thought it was quite good.

Pint and half of something Pale that I can't remember the name of was £4.50 - very reasonable prices and a good selection of ales and bottles.

Huge beards as others have commented - but friendly enough which is all that matters.

We will try it again next week.