Getting multiple job offers..

Just wondering what the protocol is, how long you can leave it before responding to a job offer; when you're receiving multiple offers of employment.

What's the best way to handle that situation, without offending a potential employer?

I'd be upfront with them all. It's a nice position to be in and they may improve their offers.

Do you know which you'd prefer yet?

I'd be upfront with them all. It's a nice position to be in and they may improve their offers.

Do you know which you'd prefer yet?

Thank you. Yes, that all sounds quite reasonable. I've not even started applying as yet; but I can see myself getting multiple offers.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I want to be in full time employment (could be restrictive, not sure); I may be more interested in contracting for a period. Or a more sensible approach could even be an informal friendly chat, show them what I've been working on, tech I've been developing etc; and see if it's anything the could utilise.

Just wondering what the protocol is, how long you can leave it before responding to a job offer; when you're receiving multiple offers of employment.

What's the best way to handle that situation, without offending a potential employer?

You can wait as long as you like of course, but string them along for too long and they may well withdraw the offer. And of course if they feel like they were strung along and you turn down the offer, don't expect to ever get another one from them.

So on that basis I try to be as open and honest as I can, I often find myself with multiple offers, or with an offer on the table and other potentials still in progress. I don't always take the first offer, but I don't normally try to make them hang on for more than a few days.

If you are that much in demand have you considered working for yourself and contracting with these companies perhaps on a consultancy basis. It should be far more lucrative.

This has happened to me on a couple of occasions, it happened twice with the same company a year or two after the first offer. I asked the agency of I could speak to them myself and explain why I was turning them down. If you do it right then it doesn't burn any bridges.

Personally, I would only like to take a day or two otherwise its obvious what you are doing. As a potential employer I wouldn't want anyone to take very long but I don't know the legal position.

I decided to set up my own business as I was fed up of broken promises from employers.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. Thanks!

Currently, I work for my own business; ideally, I want to be working on my own stuff, it does get a bit lonely though (working alone, isolation etc), so I'm thinking it could be good to explore other possibilities...

Probably, that would take the form of offering my services and expertise (that's called consulting, is that right?) to other businesses on a contractual basis. I'm thinking that would give me more freedom, flexibility and opportunity to make contacts within my industry.

I need to complete my current project first of course; aside from any other consideration, it will make a good show-piece to demonstrate my aptitude.

I guess it's more a question of how to speculatively approach companies, make contacts, sell myself, negotiate and taking on contracts here and there. There has to be other people here doing that kind of thing?

Consultancy is giving advice. If you do any 'work' or supply a service I would be more inclined to call it sub contracting or say that they are buying a service from your company. You could possibly do a mixture of consultancy and subcontracting. I'm not sure what you do. I just didn't want you to miss out on an opportunity by describing yourself as a consultant.

You need to make sure their isn't a conflict of interests if you are going to be working for or offering consultancy to your competitors.

Am in a similar position. If you get an offer I think its messing the employer about to play off one against the other. I would give 24 hours and make a decision.

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 17:22 ----------

You can wait as long as you like of course, but string them along for too long and they may well withdraw the offer. And of course if they feel like they were strung along and you turn down the offer, don't expect to ever get another one from them.

So on that basis I try to be as open and honest as I can, I often find myself with multiple offers, or with an offer on the table and other potentials still in progress. I don't always take the first offer, but I don't normally try to make them hang on for more than a few days.

I've been on the other side. If someone took longer than 24 hours to give me an answer I would offer the job to another person. If they tried to negotiate after the offer, I would offer someone else.

Waiting longer than a day would suggest a level of arrogance and that they are not really interested in the position. I try and bare that in mind when dealing with employers.

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 17:25 ----------

in a nutshell employers are busy. They appreciate straight shooters. Aslong as you communicate clearly and understand their position it won't be a problem.

Edited by ubermaus
edited

ubermaus - I couldn't agree more with everything you have written. I would withdraw an offer from someone who tried to play one offer off against another.

Perhaps people who think otherwise haven't had much managerial experience or haven't had to employ someone.

ubermaus - I couldn't agree more with everything you have written. I would withdraw an offer from someone who tried to play one offer off against another.

Perhaps people who think otherwise haven't had much managerial experience or haven't had to employ someone.

Agreed. Until I saw it from the other side I didn't really understand how time & resource consuming recruitment can be.

If you are that much in demand have you considered working for yourself and contracting with these companies perhaps on a consultancy basis. It should be far more lucrative.

I am a contractor, hence why I encounter this situation more often than most.

Each company is still only interested in hiring me on a temporary, but full time basis, so I can only work for one at a time, generally speaking.

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 18:32 ----------

Am in a similar position. If you get an offer I think its messing the employer about to play off one against the other. I would give 24 hours and make a decision.

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 17:22 ----------

I've been on the other side. If someone took longer than 24 hours to give me an answer I would offer the job to another person. If they tried to negotiate after the offer, I would offer someone else.

You'd lose a lot of good candidates that way I'd think.

I'd be happy to not work for a company that needed a decision in 24 hrs, particularly if they'd taken longer than that to respond after interview (and only the very fastest have been that quick in my experience).

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 18:33 ----------

Nobody talked about playing anything off did they?

Perhaps you've not had a lot of experience of reading?