Walking to work in the snow

Is there any official law on the reasonable limits that it would be expected for someone to walk to work?

I've got to be honest.

What a silly thread. Is this what we call modern life?? :roll:

I've got to be honest.

It probably is but a sign of the times. One of the businesses I work with had 28 out of 284 staff that were due in to work call in sick or other absence issue on Monday. I read a CIPD survey not too long back that said 25% of employees think that sickies are a perk of the job.

By coincidence, 28% of employees think they are underpaid. Not sure if it was the same people.

I've got to be honest.

People commute some serious distances nowadays, you could hardly expect somebody to walk 50 miles.

But you could expect them to walk 1 mile.

Is there any official law on the reasonable limits that it would be expected for someone to walk to work?

don't think there is a law, but depending on your health and mobility and the terrain, i don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone to walk a mile or so.

i used to walk from hillsborough into town and that was a nice stroll.

People need to consider this when they decide where to live. Nowadays some people are fortunate in that they can work from home, others don't have the option. I'm in the former category but before home working was available we always used to save annual leave until the end of the holiday year just in case of snow etc.. I've also walked 5 miles to work and back in the snow.

In the blitz I know my Grandad used to walk from Endcliffe Park to Darnall to get to the steel works.

It probably is but a sign of the times. One of the businesses I work with had 28 out of 284 staff that were due in to work call in sick or other absence issue on Monday. I read a CIPD survey not too long back that said 25% of employees think that sickies are a perk of the job.

By coincidence, 28% of employees think they are underpaid. Not sure if it was the same people.

I was interviewing someone for a job. During the interview they asked me what the sick leave 'entitlement' was, needless to say she didn't get the job.

I was interviewing someone for a job. During the interview they asked me what the sick leave 'entitlement' was, needless to say she didn't get the job.

My mortgage company needs to know my sick leave entitlement, they asked for a copy, I'm speculating that they tailor my insurance polices around this.

From what you say it sounds to me, like you have completely misunderstood what was being asked.

Wherever I have worked, the employment contract states that should the employee be faced with a lengthy period of sickness, the employee will be paid normal pay for so many days before going onto sick pay if there is a chance that they will be able to recover and come back to work.

This information may be required by someone taking on a mortgage, health insurance etc..

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 12:13 ----------

I think it is reasonable for employees to save a few annual leave days from their holiday entitlement for the worst of the winter period so that if they cannot get in to work they can take it as a day off.

My own position is that if the busses are running within the city I don't feel that anyone can have any excuse not to attend work.

I would personally walk up to 3 or 4 miles if I had to at present, but I would feel that it was unreasonable to ask people to do this if it would put them at risk of injury.

Why would you have to walk? Are there no buses or taxis running on the main roads? I used to have to take two or three buses to get to college or work before I got my own car. I was only unable to get to (or from) work when the roads were completely closed on exposed stretches of road or steep hills.

When I got my own car, there were several instances when I had to walk a long way through the estate to catch several buses to work because vehicles without four wheel drive couldn't get through the estate.

We don't seem to get really deep snow as frequently as we did in the 70's and 80's. I think people give up too easily now more people have cars.

From what you say it sounds to me, like you have completely misunderstood what was being asked.

Wherever I have worked, the employment contract states that should the employee be faced with a lengthy period of sickness, the employee will be paid normal pay for so many days before going onto sick pay if there is a chance that they will be able to recover and come back to work.

This information may be required by someone taking on a mortgage, health insurance etc..

There wasn't any misunderstanding at all. The sick pay had already been asked, the question was purely about the amount of time before it would be a performance issue. The references backed this up as a problem.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote