The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

Yes,they did vote to lower immigration,it will be controlled now,so it will be lower......won't it?

Perhaps unlikely to change much substantially. As tinfoilhat points out, May was keen on reducing immigration when at the Home Office but didn't.

They will make great play of putting some hurdles in place - this will appease the voters. It will take a few years before it's apparent that little has changed other than extra paperwork.

In that time, the Tories can go crazy with their "bonfire of regulation" - ripping up environmental and worker protections.

There's no such thing as a die-hard Labour constituency any more.

For almost a year now I have been making a case for Brexit based on sovereignty and democratic accountability. I like foreign people.

I think youve (delibrately) missed the point. A tory government will not directly help places like mansfield, middlesborogh or cornwall (who received the most EU money). When that 12 months after we leave the EU ends, the money the government said they will spend stops. It will not be replaced. It will hurt those areas, areas that voted to leave.

Im not sure why you think the government will keep matching eu money. They absolutely will not.

I think youve (delibrately) missed the point. A tory government will not directly help places like mansfield, middlesborogh or cornwall (who received the most EU money). When that 12 months after we leave the EU ends, the money the government said they will spend stops. It will not be replaced. It will hurt those areas, areas that voted to leave.

Im not sure why you think the government will keep matching eu money. They absolutely will not.

Is that just your opinion or has there been a press release confirming that?

You keep asking for evidence of things that are clearly not going to be advertised, but which run true to normal Tory behaviour.

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 16:45 ----------

I don't think they did. I still strongly suspect that most people voted to lower immigration as thy believe it was somehow linked to them being worse off.

They're going to be upset when they end up worse off still, and it lasts for the rest of their lives. Shame they're dragging the rest of us down with them.

It's how the Tories have behaved for decades so I would agree with that assessment.

Yes,they did vote to lower immigration,it will be controlled now,so it will be lower......won't it?

Seriously though, if work is not there lower immigration will not reduce unemployment will it?

Work has been systematically destroyed in this country since the 1980's.

Sheffield, and the rest of South and West Yorkshire was teeming with factories and mills, and apart lazy good for nothings there was full employment.

When I left school everyone had a good full time job to go to.

The trouble is we are heading for a situation where people will be incapable of work, as they have never been trained for it.

If all immigration was stopped overnight, and all immigrants deported, there would not be enough work.

Also, some jobs that would be vacant could not be filled.

You cannot make a skilled qualified engineer overnight for instance.

Lack of foresight and investment by governments and employers is to blame for this.

Not the EU.

Is that just your opinion or has there been a press release confirming that?

Bit of both really. Hammond said a while back they will guarentee all EU money for 12 months after we leave. Thats the fact part. After that Ive no inclination to belive a right wing tory government will give money to specific areas purely because they are poor which is exactly what the eu did regardless of which party was in charge.

Am I alone in joining up these dots?

Seriously though, if work is not there lower immigration will not reduce unemployment will it?

Sheffield, and the rest of South and West Yorkshire was teeming with factories and mills, and apart lazy good for nothings there was full employment.

The trouble is we are heading for a situation where people will be incapable of work, as they have never been trained for it.

If all immigration was stopped overnight, and all immigrants deported, there would not be enough work.

Lack of foresight and investment by governments and employers is to blame for this.

Not the EU.

From the pop vox I've heard, lots voted for leaving the EU because of jobs. Radio 4 went to Dagenham and heard lots of "I voted out because the car factory closed and now Dagenham has no identity".

They never explained why that was linked in their minds to Britain's EU membership.

The EU has noted the changing world of work that you describe above. There is discussion of a basic universal income:

https://www.euractiv.com/section/social-europe-jobs/news/the-debate-on-universal-basic-income-gains-traction-in-the-eu/

Probably here the Tories will continue to beat up on the unemployed, as is their nature.

Not the EU.

Yes,it's a huge subject matter with lots of cause and effect in both directions,but thank you for bringing another good point up about the UK leaving the EU,any government will now have to stop making the EU a scapegoat for anything,as they will foreigners,because they will have taken the country back.

They voted to leave the EU. Unless you've spoken to every leave voter you cannot say they voted for lower immigration over economic return.

Just in case you aren't aware, I'm an avid anti-Brexiter...I woke up in utter horror at what the UK had voted for so I'm not condoning or supporting the vote, just saying that I really don't think you'd find many Brexiters who if asked would say they'd prefer to lower immigration even if it cost them their job...

Edited by sgtkate

Brexiters seem very subdued today.

I wonder, now the reality is there, are they getting cold feet.

It is one thing shouting that you are leaving home, so there!!

It another thing to close the door and walk off down the street.

Brexiters seem very subdued today.

I wonder, now the reality is there, are they getting cold feet.

It is one thing shouting that you are leaving home, so there!!

It another thing to close the door and walk off down the street.

What are you basing that belief on?