Looking for advice from an Uber driver

Maybe when taxi drivers and their companies drag themselves into the modern world Uber might become less of a threat.

City actually have an Uber clone app now.

by all accounts it's terrible and the drivers pretty much ignore it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe when taxi drivers and their companies drag themselves into the modern world Uber might become less of a threat.

Fact is, for many customers, the abilty to request a car at the click of a smartphone, track it, know the driver identity, the driver knows your identity and transaction completed without the hassle of cash is just what they were screaming out for.

If I am in a city centre there is no comparison. I am certainly not going to stand in the cold and rain queuing for a black cab when I can stay nice and warm in a bar until my booked car arrives. I am certainly not going to go back to the all the hassle of calling a cab company being repeatedly "...its just round the corner luv...." half a dozen times.

I have no doubt that Uber is contraversial. I have no doubt that the wider Uber operations has plenty of flaws and plenty of risks.

However, until something that good is matched by the "traditional" taxi, people are going to keep using it and with increasing numbers.

You warn of Uber eventually having no competition and punishing customers with their monopoly but in other countries where its more established there are already OTHER companies providing similar ride sharing services. Uber is no longer alone in this game. Far from it. There is no guarantee that when the industry develops further and faster Uber will necessarilly be the dominent and certainly not sole operators.

Maybe the real crux of the controversy and protest from those "traditional" drivers is ACTUALLY the fact that for the first time in their profession THEY have competition and dont want to have to deal with it.

The system is good you are right but the big non tax paying company that is behind it is bad.they do all in their power to bypass taxi laws.Taxi laws were introduced initially for public safety.you are also right that poober has other app competition .they are all pushing down prices , employing more and more drivers and then taking more and more commission from them.its called slave labour .there was a London uber driver on u tube who use to encourage people to come and join him.the same guy is now advising people not to bother as there is too many drivers and not enough work and the company is not now taking more commission off the driver.As a hackney carriage driver I will stay clear.i have always been able to do private hire and Hack work.

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 21:15 ----------

Correction;poober is now taking more commission,thats what I meant to say

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 21:34 ----------

Fact is, for many customers, the abilty to request a car at the click of a smartphone, track it, know the driver identity, the driver knows your identity and transaction completed without the hassle of cash is just what they were screaming out for.

If I am in a city centre there is no comparison. I am certainly not going to stand in the cold and rain queuing for a black cab when I can stay nice and warm in a bar until my booked car arrives. I am certainly not going to go back to the all the hassle of calling a cab company being repeatedly "...its just round the corner luv...." half a dozen times.

I have no doubt that Uber is contraversial. I have no doubt that the wider Uber operations has plenty of flaws and plenty of risks.

However, until something that good is matched by the "traditional" taxi, people are going to keep using it and with increasing numbers.

You warn of Uber eventually having no competition and punishing customers with their monopoly but in other countries where its more established there are already OTHER companies providing similar ride sharing services. Uber is no longer alone in this game. Far from it. There is no guarantee that when the industry develops further and faster Uber will necessarilly be the dominent and certainly not sole operators.

Maybe the real crux of the controversy and protest from those "traditional" drivers is ACTUALLY the fact that for the first time in their profession THEY have competition and dont want to have to deal with it.

The system is good you are right but the big non tax paying company that is behind it is bad.they do all in their power to bypass taxi laws.Taxi laws were introduced initially for public safety.you are also right that poober has other app competition .they are all pushing down prices , employing more and more drivers and then taking more and more commission from them.its called slave labour .there was a London uber driver on u tube who use to encourage people to come and join him.the same guy is now advising people not to bother as there is too many drivers and not enough work and the company is not now taking more commission off the driver.As a hackney carriage driver I will stay clear.i have always been able to do private hire and Hack work.