Eventuall break up of the UK ?

Are you using any evidence to suggest that humanity has peaked, or is that just your unevidenced opinion?

Humanity as a whole has actually never been more civilised.

That is my opinion. Which I usually find to be sufficient.

Humanity in your world may be more civilised, but for the vast and overwhelming majority of people on this planet, day to day existence is a living hell.

Humanity in your world may be more civilised, but for the vast and overwhelming majority of people on this planet, day to day existence is a living hell.

But a smaller proportion of people are in a 'living hell' than at any other time in the whole of human history. The absolute number might be higher, but that is just a consequence of an increasing population.

I would think that the dramatic improvements around the world would be enough proof to dispute your opinion that humanity has peaked.

To say humanity has peaked implies that you think there was a time on earth when life was better than today. When was that exactly?

To say humanity has peaked implies that you think there was a time on earth when life was better than today. When was that exactly?

I would say that up to the mid 1970's humanity was running at its peak.

We, collectively, seemed more aspirational than we are today. We aimed higher.

Today, we seem to be backward looking, more and more people throughout the world are becoming obsessed with fascism and religious nonsense, and talk of gods etc.

We seemed at one time to be growing out of this, and aiming for an egalitarian world.

But this ambition seems to be slipping through our fingers.

It may be that I am looking at the past through rose coloured glasses.

But to me it seems it seems we are going backwards, not progressing at all.

I would say that up to the mid 1970's humanity was running at its peak.

We, collectively, seemed more aspirational than we are today. We aimed higher.

Today, we seem to be backward looking, more and more people throughout the world are becoming obsessed with fascism and religious nonsense, and talk of gods etc.

We seemed at one time to be growing out of this, and aiming for an egalitarian world.

But this ambition seems to be slipping through our fingers.

It may be that I am looking at the past through rose coloured glasses.

But to me it seems it seems we are going backwards, not progressing at all.

Hmm. Not sure if that opinion really holds up when you study the evidence.

Funnily enough 1970 was the year where the number of people living in absolute poverty reached its peak - it has been declining since then. You could then perhaps argue that 1970 was the worst time in human history, but you'd be hard pressed to argue it was the best.

In 1970 there were about 2.2billion people living in extreme poverty. The global population was just under 3.7billion, so around 60% of people on earth were living in extreme poverty.

Today around 705 million people are living in extreme poverty. The global population is almost 7.5billion people, therefore the percentage of people on earth living in extreme poverty is under 10%.

That is a dramatic decline in such a short space of time, and goes to show how things are getting better, not worse.

Also, you say more and more people are getting obsessed with religious nonsense. Again, this is not really true when you take out the fact that the population is growing. The proportion of people on earth who say they don't believe in a god has never been higher.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/04/160422-atheism-agnostic-secular-nones-rising-religion/

http://anonhq.com/recent-study-worlds-fastest-growing-religion-no-religion/

It must be great not having to refer to an external reality, makes it really easy to form an opinion and not change it I suppose.

---------- Post added 10-01-2017 at 07:37 ----------

Scotland simply cannot afford to follow the fish woman's dreams of Independence. Unless as with the failed EU we keep subsidising them as we do now.

Angel1

We won't be able to afford to subsidise them at all if May follows a hardline brexit approach, so they'd be better off staying with the EU and keeping an EU subsidy.

Scotland could very well leave after the EU debacle.

I think the Orkney islands have decided to hold their own referendum about whether they'd be better off outside the UK.

Hah- they'd prefer not to be part of Scotland in fact.

Scotland could very well leave after the EU debacle.

I think the Orkney islands have decided to hold their own referendum about whether they'd be better off outside the UK.

If, and I don't think it will, this country leaves the EU, it is finished.

The best parts of industry and commerce will be picked off by Europe, the USA, and others inimical to this country's future, and the rest left to fade away in the course of time.

All this rubbish about trade deals etc are nonsense.

They are just finishing the job they started in the 1980's.

Hah- they'd prefer not to be part of Scotland in fact.

This is true JS. Old news in fact.