West Street Ale House

I'm very worried about Farmer's Blonde. I went into Makro just before Christmas and there were several pallets with cases of the bottled stuff. I'm thinking around 2000 bottles for this outlet alone. That's a lot of beer for a micro brewery to stick in bottles.:huh:

Is Bradfield a micro-brewery? Beer Central shift loads of their stuff at this time of year, more than anything else.

Is Bradfield a micro-brewery? Beer Central shift loads of their stuff at this time of year, more than anything else.

I think it still is a microbrewery. According to Bradfield's own website:

http://bradfieldbrewery.com/bradfield-brewery-milestone-3000th-brew

they currently have an 80,000 pint per week capacity - which is equivalent to approx. 278 bbl. Or just less than 15000bbl pa, which is the current definition of a microbrewery. I think there is some benefit to them staying at this size or no doubt they would have gone larger. I know Sean from Beer Central and Nigel from Maison Du Biere do clamour for more Belgian Blue at Christmastime. But as I've said before, it is a very localised phenomenon. Not really sold much further afield.

By comparison, Thornbridge moved into a plant producing twice that in 2009 and last year put in place plans to double - to 60,000hl capacity (or 51000bbl). yet they are still only classed as a 'regional brewer'. Small fry when you compare them to the really big boys.

Im more worried about the fact Bradfield make terrible beer, but the people of Sheffield seem to lap it up simply because its 'local'

Not terrible - they are competent brews made with quality ingredients - just boring.

Not terrible - they are competent brews made with quality ingredients - just boring.

Tastes change, so do pubs. 5 years ago I'd have loved a pint of Farmers Blonde in an otherwise dead pub but nowadays I'd run a mile at any Bradfield produce.

Tastes change, so do pubs. 5 years ago I'd have loved a pint of Farmers Blonde in an otherwise dead pub but nowadays I'd run a mile at any Bradfield produce.

I agree. When it first appeared I thought it was pretty good and was happy to champion a local ale. Now there are so many tastier options for exactly the same kind of ale and it seems pretty dull. If they made a minor change in the formula (put some hops in) it would improve no end.

That's a very good point and well made. I know many people who scoff at craft beer, yet when their taste buds actually mature I'm pretty sure they will look back at Bradfield brews and wonder what the hell they saw in them. I did the same with Kelham Pale Rider, which I used to think was amazing - until Jaipur came along... Then Halcyon... Then Brewdog... And the rest is history.

Guest makapaka
That's a very good point and well made. I know many people who scoff at craft beer, yet when their taste buds actually mature I'm pretty sure they will look back at Bradfield brews and wonder what the hell they saw in them. I did the same with Kelham Pale Rider, which I used to think was amazing - until Jaipur came along... Then Halcyon... Then Brewdog... And the rest is history.

What's wrong with pale rider and Jaipur?

What's wrong with pale rider and Jaipur?

Nothing...until you taste Magic Rock Big Dipper, or Buxton Wyoming Sheep Ranch.

Innovation doesn't stop.

Nothing...until you taste Magic Rock Big Dipper, or Buxton Wyoming Sheep Ranch.

Innovation doesn't stop.

Bang on that man