Friend of mine got sacked before christmas

Basically a friend of mine got sacked officially after complaining.

Although it was a sacking officially, However they were not getting paid on time and correctly so the employer was at fault.

He has more interviews already. What should he say about the incident?

He needs to be honest because most places check with former employer or get two references from elsewhere. Although any prospective employer is likely to want most recent. Was it the way he complained rather than the actual complaining itself? If he got sacked because employer was at fault he can take them to tribunal depending how long he has been there but if he went in effing and blinding then he may have a problem

He needs to be honest because most places check with former employer or get two references from elsewhere. Although any prospective employer is likely to want most recent. Was it the way he complained rather than the actual complaining itself? If he got sacked because employer was at fault he can take them to tribunal depending how long he has been there but if he went in effing and blinding then he may have a problem

He complained in writing. The employer took the decision to sack him.

However the reason he left was because of late and wrong payment.

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 14:03 ----------

I dont think the employer will offer a reference by sounds of it. Although he says a month before the incident he got a glowing review so it wasnt due to poor performance.

I would recommend total honesty and rely on the interviewers integrity.

Fibs have a habit of coming back to bite you on the bum.

So long it is done is the correct manner, you are protected from dismisal for making a complaint where the employer has failed to comply with a legal obligation (including paying an employee as per their contract of employment). I emphasise in the correct manner.

If you walk up to your employer and swear at them for not paying you on time, this is not the correct manner!!! (And would probably rightly be dismissed in gross insubordination). However, if the complaint was put in writing, pointing out the relevant section Employment Rights Act, then irrespective of length of service you are protected from dismissal.

I think the question is, why exactaly was the Ops mate dismissed before a judgement can be passed from there.

So long it is done is the correct manner, you are protected from dismisal for making a complaint where the employer has failed to comply with a legal obligation (including paying an employee as per their contract of employment). I emphasise in the correct manner.

If you walk up to your employer and swear at them for not paying you on time, this is not the correct manner!!! (And would probably rightly be dismissed in gross insubordination). However, if the complaint was put in writing, pointing out the relevant section Employment Rights Act, then irrespective of length of service you are protected from dismissal.

I think the question is, why exactaly was the Ops mate dismissed before a judgement can be passed from there.

Listen to MobileB, he knows what he is talking about.

On the face of it it sounds like constructive dismissal.

But regarding interviews, just be honest about it.

On the face of it it sounds like constructive dismissal.

But regarding interviews, just be honest about it.

Thanks thats all i needed to know.

Yeah, I suppose you could say "I got sacked for calling the boss a c*** because he did not pay me on time" .....

Yeah, I suppose you could say "I got sacked for calling the boss a c*** because he did not pay me on time" .....

There was no swearing involved. Concerns were aired in writing.

He wanted to leave anyway. The boss isjust being a ****