Your message here

Searchlight.. Criminals?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

02-05-2006, 11:07   #1
fox20thc
Forum Hostage

Total Posts: 14,690
Our friendly political party are claiming that Searchlight (hope not hate) are commiting a criminal act by telephone canvassing asking voters not to vote for BNP candidates on Thursday. The Party want people to record the calls to pass evidence on to the Police to demand for a criminal investigation into Searchlight’s pre-election activities.

However searchlight (not a political party) who are an anti facist campaign magazine cite that the party have also been telephone canvassing. Is it illegal for someone who is not a political candidate or representing a party to ask people not to vote for a particular candidate?

Last edited by fox20thc; 02-05-2006 at 18:53.
02-05-2006, 11:09   #2
JoeP
A Regular Joe

Total Posts: 14,719
It's not illegal to ask, but telephone canvassing is a different kettle of fish.
_______
"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - CG Jung
My homepage : http://www.joepritchard.me.uk
02-05-2006, 11:15   #3
fox20thc
Forum Hostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
It's not illegal to ask, but telephone canvassing is a different kettle of fish.
How so Joe? I know parties do telephone canvassing.
02-05-2006, 11:23   #4
4U2NV

Total Posts: 1,023
http://www.searchlightmagazine.com/s...abloid2004.pdf

Another good link.
The councillors bit
02-05-2006, 11:29   #5
fox20thc
Forum Hostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4U2NV
http://www.searchlightmagazine.com/s...abloid2004.pdf

Another good link.
The councillors bit
I couldn't possibly comment
02-05-2006, 11:51   #6
JoeP
A Regular Joe

Total Posts: 14,719
Take a look at :

http://www.informationcommissioner.g...refomatted.pdf

This explains the rules.

_______
"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - CG Jung
My homepage : http://www.joepritchard.me.uk
02-05-2006, 16:50   #7
fox20thc
Forum Hostage

Thanks for that Joep, so as long as they abide by the rules and don't call people on the tps list its fine. So why do the BNP say that searchlight are committing a criminal offence?
02-05-2006, 18:18   #8
shefweb

Total Posts: 208
Because the BNP are lying hypocritical morons with a very short memory and an even shakier grasp of history

(edited for typo)

Last edited by shefweb; 02-05-2006 at 18:29.
02-05-2006, 18:20   #9
fox20thc
Forum Hostage

I had a look at their online tv today. Shocked at the amazing propoganda they post on there.
02-05-2006, 18:31   #10
youwhatref

Total Posts: 2,477
Well any group who phones me and ask me not to vote the BNP or any other political party will be told to go forth. They can always create their own political party....or have they (Respect?)
02-05-2006, 18:52   #11
fox20thc
Forum Hostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by youwhatref
Well any group who phones me and ask me not to vote the BNP or any other political party will be told to go forth. They can always create their own political party....or have they (Respect?)
Searchlight are just a campaigning group, not a party. They do have supporters though which is why the BNP are trying again to discredit them.
02-05-2006, 18:57   #12
youwhatref

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox20thc
Searchlight are just a campaigning group, not a party. They do have supporters though which is why the BNP are trying again to discredit them.
Well if they do have supporters then these supporters will obviously be voting to it is political. No one should have the right to try to discredit any party. They (as part of a party) should sell the benefits of a party not discredit othes.
02-05-2006, 19:02   #13
Phanerothyme
Psychenaut

Total Posts: 16,424
Quote:
Well if they do have supporters then these supporters will obviously be voting to it is political. No one should have the right to try to discredit any party. They (as part of a party) should sell the benefits of a party not discredit othes.
Why, exactly, should people be deprived of the right to discredit a political party?

That would mean political parties would be beyond criticism....
_______
SWYgeW91IGNvdWxkIGhlYXIsIGF0IGV2ZXJ5IGpvbHQsIHRoZS BibG9vZA0KQ29tZSBnYXJnbGluZyBmcm9tIHRoZSBmcm90aC1j b3JydXB0ZWQgbHVuZ3MsDQpPYnNjZW5lIGFzIGNhbmNlciwgYm l0dGVyIGFzIHRoZSBjdWQNCk9mIHZpbGUsIGluY3VyYWJsZSBz b3JlcyBvbiBpbm5vY2VudCB0b25ndWVzLOKAlA==
02-05-2006, 19:16   #14
fox20thc
Forum Hostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanerothyme
Why, exactly, should people be deprived of the right to discredit a political party?

I agree Phan,

I thought thats what politicians did.. at least Mr Camerons been having a really good bash at it this week.
02-05-2006, 19:24   #15
max
Leftie epeeist

Total Posts: 11,247
Quote:
Does that include leaders of the major religions as they, too, are asking people not to vote for single issue racist parties?
_______
UK debt now 1,920 billion. It was 700 billion in 2010. Tories, who lied they were paying it down, close to TRIPLING it. Safe with economy?
- Jan 2017
02-05-2006, 19:36   #16
ibmibm

Total Posts: 31
nowt wrong with bnp they get my vote. sorry to say most sheffielders are blind to whats going off around them..... only squel when a problems in their back garden.......
02-05-2006, 19:52   #17
angle20
Wide awake

Total Posts: 3,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox20thc
Searchlight are just a campaigning group, not a party.
There's something rather sinister and undemocratic, however, about an organisation which doesn't put up candidates itself but devotes itself to attacking people who do submit themselves to the democratic process.
02-05-2006, 19:53   #18
max
Leftie epeeist

Total Posts: 11,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle20
There's something rather sinister and undemocratic, however, about an organisation which doesn't put up candidates itself but devotes itself to attacking people who do submit themselves to the democratic process.
Just a shame they weren't around in 1930's Germany.
_______
UK debt now 1,920 billion. It was 700 billion in 2010. Tories, who lied they were paying it down, close to TRIPLING it. Safe with economy?
- Jan 2017
02-05-2006, 19:55   #19
youwhatref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanerothyme

The easiest thing for any party is discrediting those who are in power. The hardest part of the job comes when they are in power which is a shame as they often dont sell their own agenda (or keep it hidden)

I just disagree with this 'dont vote' view or criticising a partys policies. Why not tell me instead what you would do for my constituency or country??

Is it right for the Torys to go round asking voters not to vote for Labour? Why not say 'Vote for Tory because.....'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox20thec
I thought thats what politicians did.. at least Mr Camerons been having a really good bash at it this week....
That is what they have done?? So the Torys would be squeeky clean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Does that include leaders of the major religions as they, too, are asking people not to vote for single issue racist parties?....
Good question Max as this can be seen differently? It's something i'd have to give thought to without an off the cuff reply but again you may have religious leaders asking ppl not to vote for the BNP beacuse of their racist views (fair comment) but then you may get a Muslim leader asking ppl not to vote for the BNP when a Respect candidate is standing in the same ward. As Respect have the 'pro-Muslim' stigma then it coudl be viewed differently????
02-05-2006, 19:56   #20
Teabag

Total Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmibm
nowt wrong with bnp they get my vote. sorry to say most sheffielders are blind to whats going off around them..... only squel when a problems in their back garden.......
Squels in the back garden ...do you mean squirrels ibmibm?

Have the BNP have an official policy on squirrels......I know...repatriate the red back to North America.....they come over here...take our nuts....beat up our squirrels.......always hibernating.......
Reply To Topic