Defrosting / Refreezing meat questions..

So I bought chicken necks for my dog but they were a block of ice, inseparable. I put them in the refrigerator but nothing happened twelve hours later, so I left them on the kitchen counter top for another twelve hours. Then they finally came apart and I was able to put them into ziplock bags as individual portions for later. I then put the bags in the freezer.

1. Is this a no go?

2. Those who say it is OK say that the two times freezing however does affect the quality of the meat. Why? Does it make it less nutritious?

Thank you in advance for your help.

So I bought chicken necks for my dog but they were a block of ice, inseparable. I put them in the refrigerator but nothing happened twelve hours later, so I left them on the kitchen counter top for another twelve hours. Then they finally came apart and I was able to put them into ziplock bags as individual portions for later. I then put the bags in the freezer.

1. Is this a no go?

2. Those who say it is OK say that the two times freezing however does affect the quality of the meat. Why? Does it make it less nutritious?

Thank you in advance for your help.

they should be O.K but next time you do this , after you have thawed it out cook it before refreezing.

they should be O.K but next time you do this , after you have thawed it out cook it before refreezing.

Thanks for the reply. No it is for my dog, so I would prefer not to cook. I will search for somewhere I can buy these things unfrozen and then when I freeze them it will be the first time they are frozen.

Please don't ever cook bones for a dog they can be extremely dangerous. Dogs can however digest raw bones.

To the OP - it is fine to defrost and referee meat / bones etc for your dog. I presume you raw feed so your dogs stomach will more than cope with this.

Bash them apart with a mallet. That works for us anyway. We would defrost them in a cool box in a cool garage for 12 hours.

We feed Natural Instinct

http://www.naturalinstinct.com

But also have fed from the girls at Better4Pets in Hilsborough for years too -

both great companies for feeding Raw.