Taking a child abroad without parents - do I need permission?

hi i wondered if any one could help me , my son who is 23 is taking his sister who is 12 on holiday with him , do i have to give permission and if so how do i go about it.

looked on internet but cant seem to find owt out?

they do have diff surnames too.

hi i wondered if any one could help me , my son who is 23 is taking his sister who is 12 on holiday with him , do i have to give permission and if so how do i go about it.

I have taken my daughters friend on holiday last year who is 13 we didnt have to do anything and no one questioned us about her. She is coming with us again this year.

I think the only time there would be a problem if the parents had not given permission and contacted the police (which in your case is not likely to happen).

Assuming you are her mother, does her father have any objection?

It will depend upon the countries to which you intend to travel.

Some (but not many) will require varying levels of authorisation from a parent.

When my ex took the kids skiing in Italy earlier the year the Travel Agent told him to get a letter from me giving my permission for them to go, even though he is their father. Funny cos I didn't need a letter from him when I took them to Spain

When my ex took the kids skiing in Italy earlier the year the Travel Agent told him to get a letter from me giving my permission for them to go, even though he is their father. Funny cos I didn't need a letter from him when I took them to Spain

Looks like yet another instance where the law is on the side of the mother! :mad:

I'd provide a letter anyhow, authorising the holiday AND and authorising your son to allow neccessary medical treatment

cheers, there going to benidorm,

I'd provide a letter anyhow, authorising the holiday AND and authorising your son to allow neccessary medical treatment

Absolutely agree, it'll take you 2 minutes to do a letter and hopefully avoid any problems in a foreign country with customs people interrogating your boy!

I'd also attach a copy of your passport, something with your signature on it, so they can see you are who you say you are. Sure there'll be no difficulties though.

Ps..sounds like your son is a bloody good lad, taking his sis on holiday with him! :)

Absolutely agree, it'll take you 2 minutes to do a letter and hopefully avoid any problems in a foreign country with customs people interrogating your boy!

I'd also attach a copy of your passport, something with your signature on it, so they can see you are who you say you are. Sure there'll be no difficulties though.

Ps..sounds like your son is a bloody good lad, taking his sis on holiday with him! :)

Just returned from Majorca after a holiday with my grandaughter, when coming through customs the officer warned me to always obtain a letter from my grandaughters parents before taking her abroad again.

Depends on which country you are leaving from. My son had to have a sworn affidavit, from a notary republic from myself and hubbie so he could leave Portugal on his own. But he could leave the U.K. on his own no prob. Best check out which county is is leaving from in all of the journey (if it is more than one)

when we took my son's friend away with us, we had to take a letter from one of his parents, giving their permission. We got asked to produce it too. earlier this year my daughter (then 16) travelled to Holland with her boyfriend. I got a phone call from the port police asking if it was ok for her to go, yet last year she flew out to Spain on her own, to join us, with no questions asked.