Eventuall break up of the UK ?

In my local rag ' Derbyshire Times' someone sent in a letter the sender thought that in time the United Kingdom will slowly break up with North and South going their own way and London ending up like an city state. They based this idea that EU referendum showed how diveded the nation has become and the fact Westminster seems more interested in the South and leaves the North on the back burner. Another point rasied was the fact that more of our MPs come from wealthy backgrounds who's only interest is making them more wealthy and acting like mini Czars ( nothing new their) . Personally I think the UK will break up in time perhaps York could become the Norths capital.

The only way I can see it breaking up is if the devolved bits that are Scotland and Wales get independence, and anything else I think is just too far fetched to even consider.

Scotland could very well leave after the EU debacle.

I think the Orkney islands have decided to hold their own referendum about whether they'd be better off outside the UK.

In my local rag ' Derbyshire Times' someone sent in a letter the sender thought that in time the United Kingdom will slowly break up with North and South going their own way and London ending up like an city state. They based this idea that EU referendum showed how diveded the nation has become and the fact Westminster seems more interested in the South and leaves the North on the back burner. Another point rasied was the fact that more of our MPs come from wealthy backgrounds who's only interest is making them more wealthy and acting like mini Czars ( nothing new their) . Personally I think the UK will break up in time perhaps York could become the Norths capital.

The EU referendum did show fault lines between different parts of Britain - in the immediate aftermath of the vote, it was pointed out that Britain is strongly divided by class, age and education:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/eu-referendum-how-the-results-compare-to-the-uks-educated-old-an/

So Britain is already divided. And, furthermore, regions within different parts of the UK are already divided.

Interesting to note that in the time when metropolitan areas of England and Scotland were much stronger economically and culturally in relation to London, few commentators embraced the idea of the UK breaking up, with local areas having mayors. Now that London is motoring ahead in terms of growth, some commentators, based in the south are speaking out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22374449 :rolleyes:

Edited by Mister M

During the Scottish referendum the independence camp demonstrated pretty well how bad the economy would get should they leave.

Wales will be even worse than that, so I doubt any would actually want to leave and go it on their own.

Scotland could very well leave after the EU debacle.

I think the Orkney islands have decided to hold their own referendum about whether they'd be better off outside the UK.

Read about that online opens the door about referendums on other Scottish islands futures. The EU referendum has helped the SNP in their battle for independence an conflict of interests has moved the debate to another level.

The Scots need permission to hold a referendum first.

During the Scottish referendum the independence camp demonstrated pretty well how bad the economy would get should they leave.

Wales will be even worse than that, so I doubt any would actually want to leave and go it on their own.

Correct it is bluster. An Independent Scotland would never be allowed to join the EU, while Spain are a member. The Scottish people are never going to vote for not being members of the UK and the EU, which would be the consequence if they ever gained independence.

---------- Post added 08-01-2017 at 10:25 ----------

The Scots need permission to hold a referendum first.

Correct, that is a fact a deluded Nicola Sturgeon continues to ignore.

I would be against the break up of England and for an English parliament.

As for the rest, if they want independence then go for it. I'd be sad about it but there you go. I don't think the SNP will stop until they get independence.

Sturgeon's posturing is a bit ridiculous though. For all that the BBC treat her utterings with deep reverence, I think she's in a more difficult position than she has been. She lost Indyref1 and the polls say that she'd lost Indyref2 as well (though the polls have been wrong on just about everything for a few years now).

But she can't say "OK then we'll just forget it", because independence is the SNP's reason for being. But she's putting herself behind the 8 ball. She can't give up on independence but the more she keeps on about it the dafter she looks. The SNP lost - they'd lose again. So all this "If we have a soft Brexit I'll give up on Indyref2" - it doesn't matter. Sturgeon has no cards to play, much as the BBC might like to pretend otherwise.

Scotland simply cannot afford to follow the fish woman's dreams of Independence. Unless as with the failed EU we keep subsidising them as we do now.

Angel1

The UK will break up, it is inevitable. It began with the dissolution of the USSR, and the process will continue.

If the EU separates, the UK and USA will not be far behind.

Humanity has peaked, and we are on the regressive route.

The UK will break up, it is inevitable. It began with the dissolution of the USSR, and the process will continue.

If the EU separates, the UK and USA will not be far behind.

Humanity has peaked, and we are on the regressive route.

Are you using any evidence to suggest that humanity has peaked, or is that just your unevidenced opinion?

Humanity as a whole has actually never been more civilised.