Shops and disabled people

Why is the latest trend in shops to have the longest aisles possible with no half way gaps to get to other aisles?

And! Why do people assume that disabled people are in a wheelchair?

Dont the designers consider that some disabled shoppers can walk but, are in pain or struggle to walk but , wont give in and aim to be as independent as long as possible and want to walk.

The aisles are ao long , that a couple of my friends can no longer shop in these places. Perhaps a seat or 2 in various areas of a shop could help. Its the same with hospitals, the departments are so far apart.

It seems that even though some have blue badges to park nearer to places but these places dont think to consider the disabled shopper.

This is so true. I'm able bodied and find it frustrating let alone someone who may have a disability. Sports Direct is another place that makes me wonder, they have so many racks and shelves around the store it is almost impossible to pass at the best of times.

Its the unfortunate problem. Empty spaces, wide aisles with gaps and freely available seating doesn't make money.

For shop designers disabled people are well well down the list. Its simply about fitting maximum amount of stock in smallest floorspace possible.

As long as the law sets the bare minimum standard with respect to what they have to provide in terms of disabilty access they ain't gonna offer much more than that.

Shops are designed with absolute pecision to get you walking/looking/facing a certain way, passing by certain goods with more and more and more items crammed in just waiting to be picked up and bought. The more they show you the more you are likely to buy. The longer they make you walk through a aisle the more likely you are to buy. The more restrictive and difficult they make getting to the till point they more likely they are to pick up other goods on the way.

Its the reason why goods that would usually be logically put together i.e. bread and milk or shoes and socks are often put at entirely opposite (or even different floors) of a shop.

I would fully support that there needs to be more things set in law regarding not just access but a range of disabilty awareness and mandatory provisions.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Funnily enough I was thinking about this - B&M at drakehouses feels just like a maze they make for mice. Horrible place.

Funnily enough I was thinking about this - B&M at drakehouses feels just like a maze they make for mice. Horrible place.

Really eh? We have a large Ikea not far from where we live. They have a whole section called Marketplace, believe me you need a bloody map to get out of there. I dread my wife saying "come on we are off to Ikea" It got to the point I would stay outside and wait, and I am not disabled

Really eh? We have a large Ikea not far from where we live. They have a whole section called Marketplace, believe me you need a bloody map to get out of there. I dread my wife saying "come on we are off to Ikea" It got to the point I would stay outside and wait, and I am not disabled

I remember going to Ikea with my partner when he'd broken his foot and had an air boot on. Some old ladies did take pity on him though, and kept chatting to him :hihi:

If the aisles are too long for them to walk down, how do they get to the shop?

ALL B&M's are the same (at least all the ones we've been to) In our case it's more like... "I Can't be arsed to walk around another one of these just for (whatever), we'll call at the local shop & get one there instead"

If the aisles are too long for them to walk down, how do they get to the shop?

I sense a hint of sarcasn...by a mode of transport suitable to their needs obviously

Why is the latest trend in shops to have the longest aisles possible with no half way gaps to get to other aisles?

And! Why do people assume that disabled people are in a wheelchair?

Dont the designers consider that some disabled shoppers can walk but, are in pain or struggle to walk but , wont give in and aim to be as independent as long as possible and want to walk.

The aisles are ao long , that a couple of my friends can no longer shop in these places. Perhaps a seat or 2 in various areas of a shop could help. Its the same with hospitals, the departments are so far apart.

It seems that even though some have blue badges to park nearer to places but these places dont think to consider the disabled shopper.

Sometimes I have to use a chair/scooter but I will never 'give in'. :(

You do make very valid points though. I'd like to see more seats around stores.

I sense a hint of sarcasn...by a mode of transport suitable to their needs obviously

No sarcasm at all. So the disabled person isn't in a wheel chair (as stated in the op), has walked to the shop, either from the car or elsewhere but can't manage long aisles.

This just seems luck a very, very, narrow range of peoplease with this level of mobility. There can't be that many people that fall into this category.

Some people are in alot of pain when walking so these long aisles make it difficult for such people to shop.

You appear to have an ignorant view that the shop designers have. If one is disabled then they must be in a wheel chair. You sound fortunate enough not to have mobility problems

---------- Post added 23-12-2016 at 09:06 ----------

Some people are in alot of pain when walking so these long aisles make it difficult for such people to shop.

You appear to have an ignorant view that the shop designers have. If one is disabled then they must be in a wheel chair. You sound fortunate enough not to have mobility problems