Charity needs art valuer

Hi

We've been given a piece of art to use in our fundraising but we have no idea how much it is worth - would anybody be kind enough to value it for us please??

http://www.cavcare.org.uk

Why not get in touch with a local Auction House. Dowse is quite good and their valuer will let you know if it should go to a more prestigious house in London like Christie's or Sothebie's

Edited by Margarita Ma
Spelling

Good advice to take it to a good auction house. If the art work has a signature, then you can do some amateur research on the internet.

It doesn't have a signature and I don't have a big enough car to transport it :(

You can call the auction house, explain the situation that you are Cavendish Cancer Care and ask if they would possibly come to look at it. They should be able to tell you if there will be a charge but Its a good bet that being a cancer charity will make it a reduced fee or free. They often go out to large pieces or several items. They will advise you well on if it is worth selling and where and if they sell it themselves they make their money on the commission charged. You would have to ask about that at the time as it could change and varies according to value and what sort of item it is.

Good luck.

PS. You have not said if it is a painting or a sculpture or something else and my curiosity is aroused.

Edited by Margarita Ma
PS.

Thank you.

It's a beautiful huuuuge painting of Indian elephants on what appears to be silk!

Thank you.

It's a beautiful huuuuge painting of Indian elephants on what appears to be silk!

Perhaps, you could take a photograph and send an email with an attachment to some good auction houses. They will get back to you, if they think it is valuable.

I think the Auctioneers would be very interested in this you should give them the measurements and as much detail as possible when you ring.

If you have a tablet or laptop search Sotheby's Indian Art Elephants. and Indian and southeast asian works of art

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2014/indian-southeast-asian-works-of-art-n09118.html

Edited by Margarita Ma
More info

Well I've been told by one auction house that it's "not of value" but I find it hard to believe. Will keep trying, thanks all.

Well I've been told by one auction house that it's "not of value" but I find it hard to believe. Will keep trying, thanks all.

If a second opinion also tells you the same, then it is time to believe.

I have sent you a private message.

Thank you :)

If a second opinion also tells you the same, then it is time to believe.

I just want to raise as much money as possible to support local families affected by cancer, so...