Be prepared for a shock - No triple lock = No vote.

I've never tried to tell people how to vote before, but if your a pensioner be prepared to have your pension cut for the next 5 years. Once again MAY has refused to guarantee the "Triple Lock" which can only mean one thing - pensions going DOWN.

Abandoning the triple lock is going to happen. It's a financially, politically and morally unsustainable policy. A double lock will still see pensions increase with inflation or wages. The latter is really unnecessary too since pensioners inflation is different from the general population.

I've never tried to tell people how to vote before, but if your a pensioner be prepared to have your pension cut for the next 5 years. Once again MAY has refused to guarantee the "Triple Lock" which can only mean one thing - pensions going DOWN.

They wont go down but they also wont increase like they have been in recent years so nothing much to worry about.

Abandoning the triple lock is going to happen.

Might get downgraded to a dual-lock :P

Can't we all just wait for the manifesto?

They wont go down but they also wont increase like they have been in recent years so nothing much to worry about.

They will go down in real terms with inflation on the increase.

But then we're all supposed to be wealthy pensioners these days... Not.

Do you even know what the triple lock is?

How can it go down in real terms if it has to at least increase by inflation? They are only removing the minimum 2.5% aspect to move it to the double lock.

The double lock will secure inflation level rises. It seems reasonable, and for me, preferable to losing my bus pass.

Pension increases should be 10% per annum, or the average increase percentage increase in boardroom pay per annum, whichever is higher.

This should also obtain for personal and company pensions. ;):thumbsup:

As outlined on Newsnight yesterday, the average 70 year old has a higher income than the average 35 year old. Fewer pensioners are in relative poverty than children. To increase pensions by 2.5% whether or not wages or inflation are going up is totally indefensible. Pension credit is the thing that will really target pensioner poverty.

The only thing continuing the triple lock will achieve is to necessitate further increases in the pension age. Yet again making the young pay for the excesses of the older generation who failed to pay in enough to the pot to secure the luxuries they now demand.

If the state pension is the single most important issue for you then wait for the manifestos and then select the party that is pledging the best deal.

Keep in mind though that pledges in manifestos don't count for much these days, and Brexit makes that even more of an issue as it will present fiscal challenges that will lead to a lot of manifesto pledges being impossible.

As outlined on Newsnight yesterday, the average 70 year old has a higher income than the average 35 year old. Fewer pensioners are in relative poverty than children. To increase pensions by 2.5% whether or not wages or inflation are going up is totally indefensible. Pension credit is the thing that will really target pensioner poverty.

The only thing continuing the triple lock will achieve is to necessitate further increases in the pension age. Yet again making the young pay for the excesses of the older generation who failed to pay in enough to the pot to secure the luxuries they now demand.

You are falling into the trap of dividing to conquer.

We ourselves (existing retired people), as well as generations before us, fought to ensure pensioners did not live in poverty.

This, at present, is slowly coming to be so.

Most existing pensioners have worked for up to 50 years for the capitalists, and they now begrudge us a decent retirement after all those years, and are trying to find ways to reduce our conditions.

In order facilitate this happening, the tories are now trying to drive a wedge between the working classes, by pointing out how little their cronies are paying younger people.

By doing this, they hope to divide the people against themselves, as they are doing by their every policy and action, (brexit being a glaring example of this).

It is not retirees getting too much, it is working people accepting too little.

It is time the working people became organised once more, as we were, and put the employers in their place.

For me it's another blatant vote grabbing and poor policy from Labour. I'm very disappointed by them at the moment. When Labour guarantee that workers wages also have a guaranteed minimum annual rise 2.5% then I'll support this. The other 2 conditions are just fine aren't they? That in real terms your pension you receive will not deteriorate from the day you retire. That's fair and justified to me, the random 2.5% increase if inflation and wage growth is lower is not.