Derelict House, Swallownest.

Just been looking at the thread about the boarded up house in Meadowhead and it reminded me of one just down the road from where i live. It's on Main Street, just at the bottom of High Street, near the co-op.

It's quite a big house and i always think it looks really spooky. Theres a little stream right next to it and it looks as though the house is about to fall right in to it!

I've just had a look at it on google maps and the image is from 2008. It looks as though somebody had bought it and was about to do it up. They obviously never got round to it as it's currently all boarded up and looks to be in quite a sorry state.

Does anybody know anything about the history of the house? Local kids have said it's suppossed to be haunted!

I've tried putting a link to it on google maps but can't get it to work!

Edited by angel22

I'm more interested in the ghost stories about it to be honest! I don't think i'll find them on there!

Just been looking at the thread about the boarded up house in Meadowhead and it reminded me of one just down the road from where i live. It's on Main Street, just at the bottom of High Street, near the co-op.

It's quite a big house and i always think it looks really spooky. Theres a little stream right next to it and it looks as though the house is about to fall right in to it!

I've just had a look at it on google maps and the image is from 2008. It looks as though somebody had bought it and was about to do it up. They obviously never got round to it as it's currently all boarded up and looks to be in quite a sorry state.

Does anybody know anything about the history of the house? Local kids have said it's suppossed to be haunted!

I think the boards were done by the council in order to stop kids getting in, presumably from that it's an unsafe building.

I've tried putting a link to it on google maps but can't get it to work!

It's been empty for a long time, in fact I don't even remember anyone living in it since I was a kid (I'm 30 now).

Never heard any 'ghost' stories though.

It's been empty for a long time, in fact I don't even remember anyone living in it since I was a kid (I'm 30 now).

Never heard any 'ghost' stories though.

I'd love to get in and have a look around!

I'd love to get in and have a look around!

What, whilst you're alive or as a ghost?

I remember going to visit my friend many times who lived in this house in the late seventies. I never heard any stories then that is was haunted.

I thought that the land was bought up by a developer just before the crash

I guess one day they'll bulldoze it and shove some flats on there. In the meantime, it gives the local kids something to vandalise / burn

Similar story to Emporer Ming. Bought by the developer the same time Bradleys nurseries was sold I did here in order to widen the enterance for the first planning application for Tesco.

I thought that the land was bought up by a developer just before the crash

I guess one day they'll bulldoze it and shove some flats on there. In the meantime, it gives the local kids something to vandalise / burn

So is the developer still shown as registered proprietor at HMLR?

On the google maps image from 2008, there are 'Oaksbury Homes' banners on the house and the surrounding fencing.

I remember going to visit my friend many times who lived in this house in the late seventies. I never heard any stories then that is was haunted.

Looks like the kids have been lying to me!! I was hoping for some really good ghost stories!!

It's a shame to see it in such a state. I bet it was a lovely house before it became derelict and abandoned.