Help with a loft conversion

Hi all,

Looking for advice, could anyone give me a rough quote about how much it would cost for someone to come and strenghen the floor in my loft in order to start a convertion. Can do most works our self but think this bit should be left to someone else,

I live in an end 2 bed ex council house. (end house of a block of 2) in s5.

cheers

Is it going to be occupied? ie. used as a bedroom, study etc..

If so Building Control will have to be notified so they can come to inspect, also whilst planning permission may not be required they will need to be informed just incase. Are you installing velux windows or dormer?

Sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs but some people just dive in without going through the proper procedures and then complain when they have to change things retrospectively.

thats a must building control or youll struggle when comes to sell if you ever did you need all certifications and they do actually help you and explain all what needs doing its only a phone call

Give this guy a ring, he's excellent and based in S5 as well

Jason at JR Building on 07947 160457. I know he said he was quiet at present so maybe able to help you out pronto.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks all, yeh i work for council so i no i need building controle but not planning, thanks for reminding me tho. but my question was how much roughly will it cost!!!

ALSO:

1. If your house is leasehold, you'll need consent from the Council as freehold reversioners.

2. If your house is mortgaged, you'll need consent from the mortgagee (lender).

3. You should also notify the property insurer beforehand and notify it after work is concluded.

I no all the things that i need to do. thanks tho

hi i could give you a price but need to measure up ta jeff

We can provide a quote but quite busy with other large projects that we are just starting so wouldn't be able to start immediately.

Depends what the structural engineer has specified as a way of strengthening? Rsjs on each side and one middle with all the timbers hung from them on joist hangers??

If you do it off a builders notice without calculations you run the risk of building control not passing it as the timbers may not be big enough;)

If you let people know there may be for example

3 x rsj's @4m

6 x padstones

22 x 7x3 c16 timbers @4m

Where is the staircase going middle or off to one side will it run inline with joists etc

Hope this helps

Nobody can give you a quote with those details its like saying how much is my car worth its a VW.