Who is responsible for damage from wheelie bin attacks?

I've just driven down a suburban street and conditions are rather blustery. It was clearly bin day in the area and several bins and blue tubs were heading south at high speed hitting parked cars in their path.

I just wonder who is responsible for damage caused by such events?

The wheelie bin owners?

The wheelie bin owners?

That would be the council then, I'd say each vehicle owner is probably going to have to cover their won costs.

wheelie bin attacks

Sounds like a trailer for a sci fi film.

That would be the council then, I'd say each vehicle owner is probably going to have to cover their won costs.

I suspect that you are probably right but it does seem rather unfair. People put out their bins weighted down with rubbish but then the empty bin or tub is left to blow around in high winds. Surely when weather conditions dictate the bin men could put the bins in driveways or places where they won't become guided missiles.

Surely when weather conditions dictate the bin men could put the bins in driveways or places where they won't become guided missiles.

Then they wouldn't be finished for lunchtime.

Perhaps people should come back from work midway through the day and put their bin away?

If the bin owners do not do this, we should hit them with a £500 fine.

These fines could then fund the compensation claims made by car owners

Then they wouldn't be finished for lunchtime.

Sorted. I simply hadn't thought of that. It is so blindingly obvious now.

I suspect that you are probably right but it does seem rather unfair. People put out their bins weighted down with rubbish but then the empty bin or tub is left to blow around in high winds. Surely when weather conditions dictate the bin men could put the bins in driveways or places where they won't become guided missiles.

Or weight them down by leaving them full. :D

Please don't suggest this to the council they will think it’s a good idea and implement it.

:)

I have fully comprehensive insurance on my wheelie bin, its called house insurance!

My car was hit with a bin on Gleadless common today.

Broke the headlight, the indicator and dented the wing.

Im not paying for it and neither is my insurance company so i put a note through the letterbox of the bins owner, went and got a quote (£354.82) and posted her a copy through the letterbox as well.

If she dosent pay then ill take her to court:rant: