Matthew Wright In Trouble

TV presenter Matthew Wright has apologised for making jokes while discussing the first murder on the Western Isles in 43 years.

During Tuesday's The Wright Stuff, he did a mock Scottish accent and said "there's been another murder", copying a phrase from detective show Taggart.

The murder of Liam Aitchison, 16, was discussed during a newspaper review.

Panel member Charlie Baker described the probe as "the longest episode of Taggart of all time".

Liam's family have issued a statement through the police criticising the programme.

They said: "We are very disappointed at the insensitive and offensive nature of the comments made on the Channel 5 programme, The Wright Stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-16068297

Another journalist making silly comments on TV.

Its been nearly 24 hours and no foaming at the mouth from people on here. :)

I like the wright stuff, he clearly made the comment with no malice intended.

Wright is like Clarkson. If you watch their shows, you know what to expect and there's no need for the scripted 'blushing maiden aunt' act from the Usual Suspects.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-16068297

Its been nearly 24 hours and no foaming at the mouth from people on here. :)

Probably because not many people have heard of him, after reading the link I had to do a search to find out who he is.

Edited by Stan Tamudo

Wright is like Clarkson. If you watch their shows, you know what to expect and there's no need for the scripted 'blushing maiden aunt' act from the Usual Suspects.

True but it was hard to tell some people that last week during the Clarkson saga.

Just rather ironic really as these are similar comments yet less anger and foaming at the mouth. Maybe because its Channel 5 and no one watches that so there is a who cares sort of attitude over this one then.

There always will be though, some people love to be offended, it seems to be the highlight of their day, week or year when they find something they can take offence at.

Many years ago I used to watch it every day.

Now it's hyped, bitchy and rude. He does really just go for shock value.

I stopped when one day I switched over and found Jeremy Kyle far more sensible.

I may be wrong as I didn't see it but the reports suggest that wrights comment was aimed at a specific murder victim? If that is true then its a helluva lot worse than what clarkson said.

Was it?

I thought the gist of the joke was that murders were few and far between on the island, making it a long episode of taggart?

It was a joke in slightly bad taste, nothing more.

A lot of the attention it has been given will be because it was an Englishman making a joke about Scotland.

:rant:Sack him!:rant:

:rant:Dont Sack him!:rant: